1938 Special main bearings needed, .010 undersized

Main bearings for 1937 and 1938 Specials are unique to those years and models. The rear one has a series of grooves that catch the oil and send it back to the oil pan, in place of a rope seal, which these do not have. I am in need of a set of main bearings, under-sized by .010 inches, for a '38 Special that we are rebuilding in my shop. I have already tried Kanter, EGGE, Bob's Automobilia and Terrill Machine.

Does anyone have a set of 1938 Special main bearings , .010 under-sized, lying around?

What have others done when main bearings need replacing on 1937 and 1938 Buicks? I cannot be the first person who has ever faced this problem.

Pete Phillips

I’m assuming the grooves are helical? You might be able to get a local Cnc shop to thread mill the grooves into the bearings. Simple clamp fixture that simulates the main bore with lock tab grooves and a woodruff cutter with a radius might just do the trick. I’m not familiar with the bearings but if you have an old sample to measure, maybe that’d be an option with a local shop? Best of luck

Edited by BobinVirginia (see edit history)

The biggest problem is the width of the rear bearing. It is about 1/2" wider than other year's rear bearings, due to the lack of a rope seal in 1937 and 1938.

Think I may have found a set of .020 under-sized ones in Puyallup, Washington. Will have to use shims or somehow file them down to fit the .010 turned crankshaft.

Pete,

I knew I didn't have them -- but I have four (4) old school parts stores that have rooms full of Engine Parts...

Three of the four ---. No Good.... Waiting on the answer on the

(2nd of 4) who has to go "across the street".... I will give you the

"Final Answer" of the five of us, tomorrow or Monday....

Yours, Craig.....

Pete,

Was hoping to be your hero -- but unfortunately, I completed the investigation at 0 - 5....

You need to find someone like me, "somewhere else" in this country who has old school sources....

Good luck on the quest, sorry I wasn't able to help you!!!!

Yours, Craig......

• Like 1

Pete,

If you have not called Dave Tacheny. I suggest you give him a call between 4 and 7 pm Central at 763-427-3460. He often has an interesting selection of NOS parts and items such as this.