pulling camshaft gear on a 1920

MaxwellFox

I'm working my way in to seal up nasty oil leaks.  The camshaft gear is my current obstacle.  I got a 3 jaw puller and it seems like it's getting a good grip at the base of the spokes.  However the spokes are a pretty thin section and I don't want to go yanking on 'em just to blow them out.  I've tugged, tapped, torched, sat overnight under load and after another round of all of the above tonight I sprayed the stub with solvent and a healthy dose of WD40 to let it marinate under load until tomorrow.  Any tricks for getting it off?  Am I not giving the gear enough credit and I can crank away until it gives?  I dont see any set screws or other locks besides the key slot and the nut that was removed.

IMG_20210310_175157.jpg

MaxwellFox,

I didn't respond yesterday because you seemed to have done everything I would have done already and I didn't have anything to add. This morning I had a revelation. Did you have any trouble getting the nut off the cam? Any signs of someone beating or damaging the shaft? I doubt you'll find any damage but I had to ask. Now to my revelation this morning it came to me if all else fails I have a spare cam gear so give it just a little more of what you've done already and know if it all goes sideways you still have an easy out.

Howard Dennis

The nut was a little tough to get off but the threads look ok, the nut is in decent shape and the center on the shaft is still good.  One thing i did notice is the nut wasn't actually down against the gear so I was curious if there should have been a washer or fold over lock washer in there.  I'll give the threads and shaft a good cleaning and looking over tonight.  I'll also measure my gear and send you the specs to make sure it's actually going to work for a spare if need be.