Just when you thought you have seen everything....... Cost of new car key replacements

Went to get two new keys made at the dealership today........1550.00 dollars for two of them. And a two hour wait to program them. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Went to get two new keys made at the dealership today........1550.00 dollars for two of them. And a two hour wait to program them.

Missed that one in the thread about why I hate new cars...

Have made/programmed my own keys for both '01 Mercedes and '11 Caddy. Have also added RKE (remote keyless entry) to several cars (easy with power locks & remote trunk). For the moment I think usable cars stopped by 2015.

Always liked the 1953 Bentley Continental R. When owned by the English. Minimal chrome began early in the UK.

ba60014e4ab3b9a69c057fff64c8f137.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Bentley...........then again, their shop rate is 325 bucks per hour. 

I dare say the Bentley mechanics aren't 3 to 5 times

smarter than the average local mechanic.  And their

cars aren't even as reliable as a Toyota Corolla.

No one cares for pretentiousness.

The wealthy people I know are just as thrifty as the rest of us!

• Like 3

This key fob is a goofy gimmick. Drop it and the chip or crystal or whatever you call it pops right out and you can not put it back in. There is absolutely no reason they could not put a tab on top of it to keep it in place. Just a dealer/Mfg. rip off to make a few bucks. The worst part is it supposedly does not help prevent theft now that thieves know how they work. 
Bentley or not $1500 is a blatant rip-off. 
Just my opinion. Sorry for the rant 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Have yet to see a fob that could not be copied with the right equipment. Of course rolling codes require an accurate clock on both ends and very stable power supplies so could build one but why ? (also have a slim jim).

Just from an engineering standpoint be easier and more secure to use a smart phone & NBS (National Bureau of Standards) time hack.

ps rolling codes have been used for computer access for decades but require typing.

59 minutes ago, zepher said:

If you can afford to drive a Bentley you can afford some new keys.

The barrier to entry may be (much) lower after several years, but the maintenance costs don't change.

Edited by J3Studio
Grammer (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

From the "We do it because we can and we get away with it because nobody complains," school of thought.

That would be correct.

• Like 1

edinmass, the Mazda dealer wanted 400 and something for a new key for my wife's Miata. I told her to forget it, I didn't need one anyway, but she decided to lookit up on U-Tube to see if there was a fix or some other thing to replace it. Super simple, almost stupidly simple procedure, and took no $ and about 2 minutes ! Try that..

+1 on Evil-Bay, have several from merchants. Caddy even has a section on owners manual on how to program a spare but need something like Tech2Win to make 1 or 2 (memory seating positions).

51 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

The wealthy people I know are just as thrifty as the rest of us!

I'll stick with a Lincoln or Cadillac as they can be serviced almost anywhere. Don't think there is even a Bentley dealer in this whole state. I see Florida has three.   

• Haha 1

Is one about 5 miles from my house. Have always preferred a warm no-income-tax state and near a resort with a world class airport.

OTOH since VW owns Bentley would bet the remote is from Siemens. What is the FCC ID ?

I beat this game on one car I owned. It came with only one key (used car). I bought some cheap keys with no chip and had them cut, worked fine as long as the OEM key was held next to the ignition. So I took off a plastic panel on the steering column and hot glued the OEM key inside. Now my $7 keys worked fine.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

What make of car?  I need one for my wife’s Mercedes and heard they want $400 and I say one works use that!  

About 7 or 8 yrs ago the remote lock on the key for my wifes ML320 stopped working. My local mechanic could not reprogram. So, I took it the MB dealer that I used on occasion. They said the key was shot and I needed new. At that time it was around $120. I bought the key and so they told me that particular model had to be reprogrammed at the dealer only, other models you could program from home. SO, dropped my car off, came back that night after a $150 diagnosis report and they said it wasnt the key but the computer that controlled the electronic locks. That fix was gonna be in the thousands. We decided we didnt need remote lock a that point.

• Like 1
  • Peter Gariepy changed the title to Just when you thought you have seen everything....... Cost of new car key replacements

Ed, did parts give you a fancy Bentley bag to conspicously walk around with like MB does?  I have picked up parts at MB now and again and they give you this ridicules bag like you would get at Nordstrums.  I now go to chebby guy up the road to get the caddy serviced, if they need stuff they get it from other branch a couple towns over that sells cadillac.  No bags of any kind... 😁

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

About 7 or 8 yrs ago the remote lock on the key for my wifes ML320 stopped working. My local mechanic could not reprogram. So, I took it the MB dealer that I used on occasion. They said the key was shot and I needed new. At that time it was around $120. I bought the key and so they told me that particular model had to be reprogrammed at the dealer only, other models you could program from home. SO, dropped my car off, came back that night after a $150 diagnosis report and they said it wasnt the key but the computer that controlled the electronic locks. That fix was gonna be in the thousands. We decided we didnt need remote lock a that point.

And you believed them? I only have my personal experience with our local Mercedes dealer as a yardstick. Things like a shot tie-rod end at 32,000km. Quote was $1,600, as they had to raise the engine to fit a complete new steering rack. Complete BS. I went straight down to the local parts store and bought a 19 mm right hand thread tie-rod end for $16. Fixed.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, zepher said:

If you can afford to drive a Bentley you can afford some new keys.

Same goes with anything and everything with (perceived) exclusivity and/or higher value.

It’s not just whether one can afford to buy (insert your favorite high value item here), but whether one also afford to actually own it.

If minor incidentals like in Ed’s example makes a person gasp or even raise eyebrows, it’s pretty clear they probably can’t, whatever the object it relates to.

Heck, I still recall an incident maybe 20-25 years ago, when I overheard* a client of a shop specializing British luxury cars complaining about the repair cost of $1,200.00 on his older R-R ignition switch and the service/shop manager defending the figure being considerably less than if they had replaced it with a new one.

* I was there to do a small specialty job on one of their client cars requiring 2 days of onsite preparatory labor and then various additional costs, including materials, 1-2 days of offsite labor, 2-way overseas air freight shipping, etc, much of due later, within following few weeks, but at the end of that first 2 days, I presented a full (5 figure) invoice and the business owner (whom I’ve never met before) acted shocked/surprised and asked if I really expected him to pay it in full up front, on top of the airfares & hotel they had already accommodated for me, and with just my promise to deliver the final product in about a month or so in the future.

After a quick & careful consideration, I just replied “May I ask from whom did you got my name & number, Sir ?”, which prompted him to instruct his office staff with “Please pay his invoice in full and arrange him to be taken back to his hotel and the airport when he’s ready” and then turned back to me with a “Thank you, young man !”

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
39 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

I beat this game on one car I owned. It came with only one key (used car). I bought some cheap keys with no chip and had them cut, worked fine as long as the OEM key was held next to the ignition. So I took off a plastic panel on the steering column and hot glued the OEM key inside. Now my $7 keys worked fine.

You are on to something here.

I have a daily driver 2020 Corolla L (bottom of the line) that I purchased to avoid the expensive duplicate key issue as well as other modern car issues.  No key fob or remote locking, just a metal key (chipped) to operate both front door locks, ignition, and the trunk.  So it turns out that my very competent local locksmith that has the electronic equipment to activate/program duplicate keys found out on my car that there's a key out there that he can't duplicate and program.  Dealer is the only option, at just over $200.

Right after I bought the car, I had the locksmith make a duplicate key without the chip, so that I could at least unlock a door if I forgot my keys in the car.  Intrigued by your comment, I just tried the same thing with my key w/o chip and holding the Toyota chipped key near the ignition lock. The car started right up with the chipless key.  Through experimentation, I found that as long as the chip key is within about six inches of  the ignition lock, the chipless key will work.

I learn something new everyday.  Thanks!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Rusty_OToole said:

been there, done that!

Around 1981/82 Pop had an Audi 5000. I remember going to the shop with him one day for something. The dealer sold VW/ Audi/ Porsche.  There was a big sign in the shop that labor rates. I honestly have no idea now what they were but it was something like VW was base price, Audi was double that and Porsche was double the Audi. I always that it was kinda funny, figuring the same guys were working on all three brands, with the same tools and most likely the same diagnostic equipment.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, edinmass said:

So what's the rant? Sounds like normal Bentley pricing to me. And you play in that group all the time.

Did you even try a local locksmith? What key system does a Bentley use?

And of course, why did you need two keys? "They" lost both at the same time, or theft recovery? Or kids don't want to share the same key, but will share the same car?🤔 Can't see that happening in this level of family.😆

4 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

This is how many people installed remote start on a car that was never meant to be equipped with remote start.

Use the valet key to glue behind the plastic trim by the ignition switch and then wire in the rest of the parts for the remote start.

One of my cousins is very well off.

He has owned 2 new Maserati Quatroportes in the last few years.

Says he spends about $10k - $15k a year just on maintenance.

If you can't afford to maintain it, don't buy it.  

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

So what's the rant? Sounds like normal Bentley pricing to me. And you play in that group all the time.

And of course, why did you need two keys? "They" lost both at the same time, or theft recovery? Or kids don't want to share the same key, but will share the same car?🤔 Can't see that happening in this level of family.😆

Not my car......no rant. Just calling out overpriced dealership items. It’s my understanding that no one can make a key............only the dealer can program the key to the computer. 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

Why extra keys? I have TEN sets for each collector car. Ten of every key. The Bentley key fob failed.......and it was being driven on a valet key which won’t open the trunk, among other issues. So, it did need two keys, one for each owner. As far as collector car keys............when touring far from home, why risk it. We usually give a set to each passenger, the truck driver, trouble truck tech, ect. We often take cars overseas, and the risk of not having a key is too great. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, edinmass said:

Why extra keys? I have TEN sets for each collector car. Ten of every key. The Bentley key fob failed.......and it was being driven on a valet key which won’t open the trunk, among other issues. So, it did need two keys, one for each owner. As far as collector car keys............when touring far from home, why risk it. We usually give a set to each passenger, the truck driver, trouble truck tech, ect. We often take cars overseas, and the risk of not having a key is too great. 

I may have mentioned this before, But I would travel to Daytona Bike week with my 2 older brothers. My one brother and myself primarily would haul our trailer with either of our pick up trucks, so we both had sets of keys for the locks. On this trip we pulled the trailer with my other brothers RV. We made sure we each had a set of keys to the locks. Upon entering FLA early morning after an all night trip, we had a thought. 'Did anyone think to bring the trailer keys?"  Mine were on my trucks key ring, as were brother A's, brother B's response was, 'you guys always have your keys, I didnt bother to grab the set you made for me!'

First Home Depot we found we got a set of bolt cutters and new locks!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Is an interesting conundrum. If too hard to program the key, I'd reprogram the car. For the GM VATS (Vehicle Anti-Theft System) you just need a resistor.

• Like 1

Any reputable mobile locksmith can make and program keys for 99% of the cars on the road, for a fraction of dealer price.  Not sure about Bentley's.  That would be a pretty small market to serve.

20 hours ago, edinmass said:

Ok, you're not allowed to drive a Bentley and complain about the cost of its keys. 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Pete O said:

Ok, you're not allowed to drive a Bentley and complain about the cost of its keys. 😉

Pete......I don't drive Bentley's.........I'm born and raised in Springfield Mass..........where they built the American Rolls Royce..........thus this photo from ten minutes ago...P2.   😜

IMG_1911.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1