1963 wildcat hydraulic conversion

Jimmyh

Has anyone tackled converting the  convertible and seat hydraulics to electric? Not a requirement but I'm building from frame up and would prefer to lose all hydraulics altogether.  

Any help appreciated.

Jimmy

The seat is easy - use a later model electric power seat base. Obviously there will be fabrication of mounts and adapters required, along with wiring to carry the current, but this is pretty straightforward.

Converting the top is problematic and likely not worth the effort. First, the beauty of hydraulic is that the pressure in both cylinders is the same, so they naturally move at the same rate. With electric ballscrews, once you find actuators with the right force and stroke, you need to figure out how to sync them electronically. That's not going to be a trivial task. The GM hydraulic power top is pretty simple and reliable.

Correct me if I am wrong but a 1953 Buick uses hydraulic windows a seats . . . .

But a 1963 has motor driven mechanical windows and seat. 

Powered mechanical windows and seats just need disassembly, cleaning and lubrication. The motors are typically OK. 

The 1963 tops are hydraulic but they are easy to fix and have readily available new parts. 

Windows are electric actuators in this 63. Driver seat and top are hydraulic. 

This was a barn find, a leaky barn, not on road since 75. Pretty much a home for cats and owls, top was ripped so this took on a lot of water on the driver seat. 

Gutted to frame, just sandblasted and getting metal work cleaned up. I've blasted every part on this car that unbolts.  I figured dump hydraulic, but I think I will keep the top hydraulic as is after reading above. 

Car has every bell and whistle made, 401 with dynaflow I think. I'll pull that out in next week or two. My guy said only 6 with that configuration were made in 63, so I will see what it is soon. 

Looks like a lot of work, but fun.