E Bay

broker-len

For the few sales I have made, the funds meander around to my bank account several days after the sale. Let’s face it, Epay ain’t what it used to be. Buyer interest in used auto parts, on eBay, is way down from its peak several years ago. 
 On the bright side, the EBay malaise seems to have contributed to a rebirth of sorts at swap meets. Despite Covid, the Carlisle slate of events and their accompanying swap meets had good traffic last year. This year seems poised to be even better. Let’s hope that equates to a great Hershey week.

Ebay moves in its own little universe. They make frequent changes intended to improve their bottom line and help them (try) to compete with Amazon. It’s still the only online auction that reaches a large audience; it’s just the audience has grown weary.

• Like 2

Seems a bit confusing to me and you eventually get your funds deposited into your bank account you have to link to their managed payment system.   Some fees come out of the sale at time of sale some are still due at the end of the month.  Pay pal was instant and streamlined.  This seems like layers of confusion.  I have been getting paid, not sure if it's accurate as to what I should be as it's hard to tell with their abstract charges all total up to.  They can at any point reach into your bank account and take money out if a customer complains so be sure to maintain a balance so you don't get an overdraft fee from your bank.  I also created a separate checking account just for ebay and deposit it with my online checking from that account into my regular account every few days to isolate it, in case it ever gets hacked as ebay has been breeched before. 

Someone in the ebay community posted they weren't getting all the funds they were suppose to be getting and posted how they determined it,  but I can't say as ebay collects fees on the item,  fees on the shipping and fees on the tax collected (yeah like that seems right) so it's probably hard to even come up with solid numbers as you may not know what a customers tax rate is so you won't know the exact amount collected by ebay. 

Good luck.  If there is a way to kill the golden goose,  ebay is trying it's best to succeed at it.  They will never be Amazon and have been chasing those tail lights,  while driving real sellers and customers away, for years.  They need to focus on what made them what they are,  unique auction offerings.   They seem to be drifting further and further from that every year. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As a seller it took me a little while to get used to the new managed payments but it has gone well overall and I've had no real issues. It takes a couple of days for the payouts to reach my bank account but that's no big deal to me. I still sell, get paid and what comes out in fees is roughly (maybe slightly higher) the same as it's always been. 

My experience has been different than Greenie's. In 2020 with few swap meets to attend, parts sold like hotcakes on ebay and continue to be strong.

Ebay and Paypal now send the IRS a 1099 so be prepared to claim all sales on your taxes.

• Like 1

I didn't sell much on there but I quit when they wanted to force me to switch. Not a huge deal since I just used it to unload some unused stuff. I can still buy using paypal so I'm fine with that but selling with the new system seemed to be kind of a headache from stories I've heard. It'll be interesting to see how swap meets come back after covid and then ebay's new system. Hopefully they'll be bigger.

Edited by AL1630 (see edit history)

I also stopped selling with the forced change.  I will still buy until that changes too.  Bank access and 1099's?

Goodbye.

Fair warning - from Ina Steiner's Ecommerce-Bytes Blog. The threshold for 1099's has changed from $20000 to $600. (Some states dropped the threshold last year - this is the new Federal  threshhold). 

"A provision in the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (aka the COVID relief bill) would put some people's online-selling activity in the crosshairs of the IRS. 

Some might say rightly so, but even people who sell their old stuff when cleaning out their basements and garages should sit up and take notice. 

If you use PayPal, eBay, Etsy, or any electronic form of payment processing to collect money from buyers, you will be impacted if the amount a single entity processes on your behalf exceeds $600."

14 minutes ago, vermontboy said:

Fair warning - from Ina Steiner's Ecommerce-Bytes Blog. The threshold for 1099's has changed from $20000 to $600. (Some states dropped the threshold last year - this is the new Federal  threshhold). 

"A provision in the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (aka the COVID relief bill) would put some people's online-selling activity in the crosshairs of the IRS. 

Some might say rightly so, but even people who sell their old stuff when cleaning out their basements and garages should sit up and take notice. 

If you use PayPal, eBay, Etsy, or any electronic form of payment processing to collect money from buyers, you will be impacted if the amount a single entity processes on your behalf exceeds $600."

Rolling out a new payment system with direct access to bank accounts + new taxes = probably not good for ebay.