1948 Windshield Washer Information?

Anyone have any printed material on the windshield washer systems on the 46-48 Lincolns?  I assume there had to be a foot pedal and a reservoir somewhere.  Any diagrams would be of great help....lastly, was this a Ford offered option?

3D252C98-873F-42E2-9C57-5156B07DA150.jpeg

John, I cannot find any information on a kit for the Lincoln, but Mercury did offer the kit. It was the Trico vacuum operated pump in a jar under the hood. The kit included a control that mounted under the dash. Your owner's manual may have some information on the system, if it was an approved accessory.

The foot pedal system came out later, I want to say with the 1955 models as I have never seen one on an earlier model Ford product. By then the Lincoln system was electric.

If you have the dash control and the squirters, I have a rebuildable pump, jar and mounting bracket that I can let you have for a reasonable sum.

3 hours ago, 19tom40 said:

John, I cannot find any information on a kit for the Lincoln, but Mercury did offer the kit. It was the Trico vacuum operated pump in a jar under the hood. The kit included a control that mounted under the dash. Your owner's manual may have some information on the system, if it was an approved accessory.

The foot pedal system came out later, I want to say with the 1955 models as I have never seen one on an earlier model Ford product. By then the Lincoln system was electric.

If you have the dash control and the squirters, I have a rebuildable pump, jar and mounting bracket that I can let you have for a reasonable sum.

Tom, 

I seem to recall that I had a dash switch amongst the several boxes of parts that came with my ‘48.  Thanks for the generous offer, being that my car definitely has the cowl mounted squirters, my car must have had this rare accessory when new, so YES I’d be interested in picking up what you have.  Let me see what I can come up with in my stash of parts.  Pretty amazing that such an advanced option was available 75 years ago!  

Tom and all, I found what I think is the switch that hangs under the dash.  If it is, I’d like to get this option to work.  Tom, I’d like to get those parts from you, if still available.  Also, anyone have instructions showing where to mount what?  

D6D2B95E-2CFE-4176-97A9-70DBCA74D4E5.jpeg

AC94ECB3-3193-4ECD-BDAF-CD7CD1662224.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 19tom40 said:

These are photos that I found of a car for sale with the windshield washer. I don't know if it is correct.

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1293298/1948-lincoln-continental-for-sale-in-staunton-illinois-62088

Thanks Tom, don’t know either but if I can find an original instructions, it should tell me.  Yea, crazy to spend so much time on this, but if it’s on my car, I’d like it to work.

You may be able to get original instructions from the Archives. I can give you the P/N of the Mercury kit. If there was a Lincoln kit, it may have had the same P/N with 5EH prefix. The Mercury kit is P/N 51A-18293.

You might also check with the tech sources on the LZOC site.

I will go through the WW parts I have as spares and let you pick which parts you want. I cannot guarantee that any of the pumps will  work after rebuilding and i don't know anybody that rebuilds them any more. Give me a call and we can set up a time to get together.

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2021 at 12:49 PM, gdcont said:

if you look in the Lincoln Chassis Parts Catalog on page 311 it listed as 5EH 18293 Kit automatic windshield washer '47 &'48. 

Hope that helps. George.

I did not know that George, thank you!