1965 Buick Riviera Re-Assembly

kfdudley

I am restoring a 1965 Riviera and need assistance re-assembling the front end.  Need someone familiar with Riviera’s to assemble fenders, inner fender wells, radiator support and hood in tri-state NY-NJ-CT.  All parts are present.

Edited by kfdudley
Clarification (see edit history)

Do you have the shop manuals?  They will help a lot but you might still have questions and people here can help.  Are you looking for someone to reassemble it for you nearby, or for help on how to do it yourself?  A little unclear in your ask.  

I have the shop manuals however can't find complete illustrations of the front end including the body panels listed above:  fenders, inner fender wells, radiator support .  I am looking for a local subject matter expert on Riviera's to assemble the front end to move the project along or identification of the manual detailing the front body panel assembly.

Thanks

Here are the manuals that I currently have.  I have not been able to identify illustrations for mounting the inner fenders, fenders and cross braces to the Riviera Xframe.  Looking for exploded detail on how to put the front clip on.  Looking for a subject matter expert to assemble and install the front clip or identify the missing manual with the detail.

Thanks

Reviewed Manuals:

Buick Service Manual 1965 Chassis 45000, 46000, 48000, 49000

Buick Service Manual 1965 Body Riviera

Buick Service Manual 1965 Body All Models

Buick Service Manual 1965 Chassis and Body Parts

Buick Master Body Parts Book Models 1940 - 1967

Buick Master Chassis Parts Book Models 1940 - 1967

Edited by kfdudley (see edit history)

I’m thinking that if you trial fit one piece at a time, you’ll be able to figure out how everything will fit together as a whole.  Hold an inner fender up to the firewall and see where holes match up.  The inner fenders are mirrors of each other.  Take an inner fender and see how the radiator core support bolts to it.  Match an inner fender to an outer fender and see how the go together before attaching to the chassis.  (For me it’s easier to bolt the inner fender to the fender before mounting them to the chassis BUT you need to figure out how the attach to the chassis first.). Just get out there and put the puzzle together.

Section 12 in the chassis manual has very good blow up diagrams of how everything bolts together.

The only thing it doesn't show is how the bottom of the radiator support attaches to the frame. The attachment

to the frame consists of a rubber body mount bushing sitting on top of the frame, then the radiator support on top of that, then another bushing on top of the radiator support, with a bolt running through the middle of everything.

The way the factory put the front clip on the car was as a complete assembly with radiator support, both fenders,

inner fenders and grill and bumper valence panel already bolted together. There are no shims on this assembly. Where the front clip attaches to the cowl every attachment has shims in order for the clip to line up properly to the front of the doors. The panel

that sits directly in front of the windshield will need to be installed after the front clip is on the car, with the hood

installed last. Headlights, clamshells, clamshell linkage and front upper and lower bumpers are installed after the front clip is installed. The hideaway headlamps and assorted linkages make putting the front end together much

more complex than a normal car of that era. If you want you can also install one fender at a time to the front end

after you have bolted the radiator support to the frame, but you will need to bolt the inner fenders to the fenders

before installing each fender.

• Like 1

If you had a bunch of guys, you might be able to assemble the front clip then attach it to the chassis.  But I doubt if that’s going to happen.  😁 But if I were you I would assemble the inner and outer fenders as a unit before attaching them to the chassis/firewall.  Trying to “hook” the outer fender around the inner fender while the inner fender is attached to the chassis takes some prying and maneuvering that can damage the paint. 

• Like 1

I feel your pain. but, I took mine apart myself and took lots of pics and tagged and bagged everything. I thought about offering pics but you wouldn't know what you are looking at because they are close ups and unless you know what your looking at...   It can be done, Ive talked to people that have brought cars home with totes full of parts. Its a challenge but think about the accomplishment when your done. Stand back and say "I built this".  Wealth of knowledge on here if you get stuck. 

Good luck, you must be somewhat mechanical or you wouldn't have gotten the car so, go get em.

Joey

IMG_0155.jpg

Went to the garage to look for all the parts for the inner fenders and cross brakets.  Locating all the screws for the fender and inner fenders.  I will continue with the assembly next week.

Kevin ROA # 14796

65 (under construction)

IMG_1240.JPG

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, Fred C Post said:

Seafoam65,are you talking about the Chassis Manual or the Chassis and Body Parts Manual? I need to order the correct one. And will it show bolt sizes? Thanks,Fred

I am talking about the Buick Chassis manual......the Body manual only covers the Fisher body which is from the firewall back. The

exploded diagrams for the front clip are in section 12 near the back of the book. Bolt sizes are not mentioned.