How does this rod install on my 65 Electra Conv.

I just ran across this darn rod (again) that I haven't been able to figure out how it re-installs in my 65 Electra Convertible.

I had it tagged and labeled as trunk and I think it is used to support the boot cover for the convertible top but I've never been able to figure out how it is installed. I can't find a diagram of it in the service manual. I remember lying on my back and trying to install it and it not fitting.IMG_5602.jpg.9f2573a2a87bdd2d71767c7e08ce1d07.jpg

Anybody know?

Thanks

Bill

Posted (edited)

Nope, that's what I thought at first. There are 2 torsion rods in place I believe. Trunk opens and closes great.

I never removed the trunk lid when I painted the car, but I did remove all the chrome moulding and did some rust repair.

I think I removed it when I put the new top  and boot on the car.

Anybody got a full size mid 60's GM convertible they are restoring and can take a look in the area where the convertible top would rest when open?

I just looked through the Service Manual again.....either it's not mentioned or I'm missing it. I'll start looking through the chassis manual too in case it doesn't even belong in the trunk.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by wmsue
update (see edit history)

You probably will NOT find what you're looking for in any "service manual", unless it is a "body manual", which is usually for all GM divisions, not just Buick per se.  The OTHER place to look is in a Buick parts book for that general period of time.  "Illustrations" of the top mechanism and such.  There is also a separate pamphlet on "convertibles" which all full-size convertibles came with from the factory, but it's more about "care and feeding" than anything technical (after I finally found one!).

GM used two sizes of convertible tops for their full-size cars.  One size for Chevy Impala/Caprice, Pontiac Catalina/Bonneville, Olds 88s, and Buick LeSabres/Wildcats.  One size for the longer-wheelbase cars as Olds 98, Buick Electra, and Cadillac DeVilles.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi Bill

Those are rods that guide the rear window on your convertible top into the well.

They were left off my convertible and there is no noticeable problems with lowering the top.

I studied these last year - my Super Wildcat project still has them and 

I will ask that they are re-installed just because...

Thanks Ted,

I know it came from that area but can't figure out exactly how they are installed.

I took the trunk liners out last week to give it one more try at installing and came up empty. I took out both shop manuals (again) and looked through them too.

I almost got it to install to where it would protect the pump from being hit by the top/window, but it wouldn't quite fit.

My top goes up and down without a problem. But I would like to install the rod correctly.

If you happen to snap a photo of how they install, I would be most grateful.

Your Electra looks great. The color is 'awesome' on the car. Congrats.

Thanks

Bill