The benefits of this forum and how it has helped you.

Whenever I go to a meet, of any type, or social event, I'm struck by how few people I really have the opportunity to interact with. I'm limited by time space and circumstances. I don't know how many times I've left a meet only to realize that I missed people that I knew were there and may even have seen, but we just hadn't gotten together. It's especially vexing as we age to realize this may be the last time I will ever see that person(s). With forum members none of those limitations exist. 

• Like 4

What I enjoy about this Forum, is the family that has been created here. This is a comfortable place to stop at any  time and catch up on projects, conversation, and information . I love following the restoration post,  from beginning to end, and then seeing the finished car, truck, etc. at an AACA National. After following Ted's restoration on his '32 Olds, seeing the car,  and finally meeting Ted and Michelle at Hershey, it was like "Old Home Week." I felt like I knew Ted for years.  No matter who I  am chatting with, Roger Zimmerman, hursst, Steven Pollard, auburnseeker, Ted, etc. I consider all to be  a part of a wonderful an extended family. This Forum is the College of Automotive Knowledge. I thank Steve and Peter for all of their hard work in making this Forum the place to be. Thanks. John

• Like 2
2 hours ago, pkhammer said:

The story of Ed's White adventure alone is worth checking in on daily. We need more threads like that!

As a side note, I had Ed pegged as a seasoned old Curmudgeon and he's only 55?! I'm 57 and consider myself one of the young guys! My birthday coming up next week as well. 58 here I come! 

I’m a young fogey!

• Haha 1

What do I like about the Forum? Where do I start? I am pretty new to the Forum and I had some questions/concerns about my first antique car I'd acquired a few years back. Though, I'm sure my ignorance was out there for all to see, not one person who responded said anything derogatory or 'snotty' to me. The responses were informative and well-written. I greatly and humbly appreciate the time they took to respond. In just the few months I've been on here I have learned more than I could have imagined. The posts I've read not related to my questions are amazingly informative! From personal experience, the thing that concerns me is that it seems many members are of advancing age and it seems like such a crime if their knowledge is not somehow passed on to others before it's too late. As for 'zombie posts,' I can understand the concern about things for sale, but certainly if a question or concern has more information available to update a post, why not bring it back? 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Walt G said:

When I bought my first old car in 1963 it was a 1931 Plymouth model PA, it was just over 30 years old .

My first old car was a 1931 PA Plymouth and I still have it    50 years now!  First Hershey 1970. 

The AACA forums have been helpful during the Pandemic giving me something to do to pass the time.

Why do they have to keep showing people actually getting the injection on TV news?!!!

• Like 1

I've learned about cars and machinery I would otherwise have known nothing about. Hopefully I've contributed a little Oldsmobile knowledge along the way though lately it seems I get more benefit from the Forums than the Forums get from me...

• Like 1

I agree with everything that has been said here so far. While I am repeating the sentiments of others, the friendships I have formed here have been invaluable.  Thanks to all of you for sharing your wealth of knowledge. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, pkhammer said:

The story of Ed's White adventure alone is worth checking in on daily. We need more threads like that!

As a side note, I had Ed pegged as a seasoned old Curmudgeon and he's only 55?! I'm 57 and consider myself one of the young guys! My birthday coming up next week as well. 58 here I come! 

Stick with your first instinct.   You were not off by much.

• Haha 4
7 hours ago, rocketraider said:

I've learned about cars and machinery I would otherwise have known nothing about. Hopefully I've contributed a little Oldsmobile knowledge along the way though lately it seems I get more benefit from the Forums than the Forums get from me...

You’re not alone! I’ve not been able to contribute much knowledge. I really have gained a lot of knowledge from the people on the forum. 

I would echo all of the above as well as appreciate the G, or PG ratings here as well.  I use all kinds of interesting language in my own garage, but a lot of internet sites seem to be places where people act in ways one hopes they wouldn't in person, ever.  I appreciate humor, and it is ok to differ but remember its a hobby.  I prefer adults who act like adults and we seem to strike that balance here.

Info, friends, entertainment and networking.  I bought a couple cars either directly or indirectly, but related to contacts initially made right here.

If you love this forum, you should really consider joining AACA if you haven't already.  Many benefits beyond this, but this is a big one.

• Like 3

As many have said, there's so much knowledge here. I truly feel like I can ask any automotive question and get many coherent answers, like with today's 1950s to 1960s design changes question, or with the question about good Mercedes-Benz books a couple of months ago, or …

Enjoyable when at home most of the time but only forum where I have to be so careful not to say what I think. Even was once chided for speaking from personal experience rather than Google.

• Like 1