The benefits of this forum and how it has helped you.

Whenever I go to a meet, of any type, or social event, I'm struck by how few people I really have the opportunity to interact with. I'm limited by time space and circumstances. I don't know how many times I've left a meet only to realize that I missed people that I knew were there and may even have seen, but we just hadn't gotten together. It's especially vexing as we age to realize this may be the last time I will ever see that person(s). With forum members none of those limitations exist. 

• Like 5

What I enjoy about this Forum, is the family that has been created here. This is a comfortable place to stop at any  time and catch up on projects, conversation, and information . I love following the restoration post,  from beginning to end, and then seeing the finished car, truck, etc. at an AACA National. After following Ted's restoration on his '32 Olds, seeing the car,  and finally meeting Ted and Michelle at Hershey, it was like "Old Home Week." I felt like I knew Ted for years.  No matter who I  am chatting with, Roger Zimmerman, hursst, Steven Pollard, auburnseeker, Ted, etc. I consider all to be  a part of a wonderful an extended family. This Forum is the College of Automotive Knowledge. I thank Steve and Peter for all of their hard work in making this Forum the place to be. Thanks. John

• Like 4

2 hours ago, pkhammer said:

The story of Ed's White adventure alone is worth checking in on daily. We need more threads like that!

As a side note, I had Ed pegged as a seasoned old Curmudgeon and he's only 55?! I'm 57 and consider myself one of the young guys! My birthday coming up next week as well. 58 here I come! 

I’m a young fogey!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What do I like about the Forum? Where do I start? I am pretty new to the Forum and I had some questions/concerns about my first antique car I'd acquired a few years back. Though, I'm sure my ignorance was out there for all to see, not one person who responded said anything derogatory or 'snotty' to me. The responses were informative and well-written. I greatly and humbly appreciate the time they took to respond. In just the few months I've been on here I have learned more than I could have imagined. The posts I've read not related to my questions are amazingly informative! From personal experience, the thing that concerns me is that it seems many members are of advancing age and it seems like such a crime if their knowledge is not somehow passed on to others before it's too late. As for 'zombie posts,' I can understand the concern about things for sale, but certainly if a question or concern has more information available to update a post, why not bring it back? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Walt G said:

When I bought my first old car in 1963 it was a 1931 Plymouth model PA, it was just over 30 years old .

My first old car was a 1931 PA Plymouth and I still have it    50 years now!  First Hershey 1970. 

The AACA forums have been helpful during the Pandemic giving me something to do to pass the time.

Why do they have to keep showing people actually getting the injection on TV news?!!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pkhammer said:

The story of Ed's White adventure alone is worth checking in on daily. We need more threads like that!

As a side note, I had Ed pegged as a seasoned old Curmudgeon and he's only 55?! I'm 57 and consider myself one of the young guys! My birthday coming up next week as well. 58 here I come! 

Stick with your first instinct.   You were not off by much.

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, rocketraider said:

I've learned about cars and machinery I would otherwise have known nothing about. Hopefully I've contributed a little Oldsmobile knowledge along the way though lately it seems I get more benefit from the Forums than the Forums get from me...

You’re not alone! I’ve not been able to contribute much knowledge. I really have gained a lot of knowledge from the people on the forum. 

I would echo all of the above as well as appreciate the G, or PG ratings here as well.  I use all kinds of interesting language in my own garage, but a lot of internet sites seem to be places where people act in ways one hopes they wouldn't in person, ever.  I appreciate humor, and it is ok to differ but remember its a hobby.  I prefer adults who act like adults and we seem to strike that balance here.

Info, friends, entertainment and networking.  I bought a couple cars either directly or indirectly, but related to contacts initially made right here.

If you love this forum, you should really consider joining AACA if you haven't already.  Many benefits beyond this, but this is a big one.

• Like 3

As many have said, there's so much knowledge here. I truly feel like I can ask any automotive question and get many coherent answers, like with today's 1950s to 1960s design changes question, or with the question about good Mercedes-Benz books a couple of months ago, or …

• Like 2

Enjoyable when at home most of the time but only forum where I have to be so careful not to say what I think. Even was once chided for speaking from personal experience rather than Google.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

This has been a tough year and getting on here helps take my mind off things a while. I’ve gotten to know a few folks on here and it’s been great. I wish I had time to go hangout and help some of them with their cars. 

I’ve found that the forum helps keep my chin up about my car project. While my project has stalled my gathering of knowledge hasn’t thanks to many topics on the forum. Thanks everyone! 

1 minute ago, BobinVirginia said:

This has been a tough year and getting on here helps take my mind off things a while. I’ve gotten to know a few folks on here and it’s been great. I wish I had time to go hangout and help some of them with their cars. 

I’ve found that the forum helps keep my chin up about my car project. While my project has stalled my gathering of knowledge hasn’t thanks to many topics on the forum. Thanks everyone! 

Bob,

Planning and gathering knowledge etc. for future work is half the fun! Your comments got me thinking about my Dad. He would spend hours and hours during the Winter months researching and planning our family trips for the coming summer. Later, when his health was failing, he still spent hours planning trips  - some he took and many he did not. It was something he really enjoyed - Its a good memory.

That time spent planning and learning is all part of the hobby. Enjoy it!

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2021 at 10:21 AM, padgett said:

Enjoyable when at home most of the time but only forum where I have to be so careful not to say what I think. Even was once chided for speaking from personal experience rather than Google.

Chided or not, it;s good to seeyou back.   Wait a minute, this is a old Ghost Post, but with nearly 28,000 posts, you must have

enjoyed it for a long time.   I'm sure you will miss it and return to tbest Cars & Coffee discussions around.

With 17 years on this Forum I have only 2900 posts.   Mostly limited by my typing ability.  A skill semi-learned but not mastered 

as a sophmore in high school in 1962.  When my wife finds me at car shows, she often asks whoever I talking to, "What chapter

is he on?".   Maybe I should have taken typing again.   But "Where Were You in 62?" was a way of life at that time.

Paul D, I also took typing in high school. I am proud to say that I was not the slowest typist in the class! At my rip-roaring maximum top flying speed of 23 wpm, I was second to the slowest in the class! One kid, never passed 18 wpm. Many years of hard work and arthritis haven't helped it any.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Paul D, I also took typing in high school. I am proud to say that I was not the slowest typist in the class! At my rip-roaring maximum top flying speed of 23 wpm, I was second to the slowest in the class! One kid, never passed 18 wpm. Many years of hard work and arthritis haven't helped it any.

Typing was the best class of the home economics, cooking, etc, group of classes we had.   I'm so happy I took it in HS.    In my business in front of a computer, guys that can't fly over the keyboard are looked at as boobs.  

• Like 2

I have asked many questions and have received as many good answers to my problems.

Thanks to all that have read and responded!

👍🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alsancle said:

Typing was the best class of the home economics, cooking, etc, group of classes we had.   I'm so happy I took it in HS.    In my business in front of a computer, guys that can't fly over the keyboard are looked at as boobs.  

I can type like lightning... its the spelling and grammar I struggle with :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Well what can I say 5 years of participation 

Appreciate the friendship shown and humility to me  although being in Uk ,never meet as being over the pond don’t attend your events , pity . However met one other member Daniel from Belgium , bought my Buick , friends now and intend meeting up again.

the technical help I’ve had from members especially the great Buick guys 

the humour, dry and  sometimes saucy , love it 

but I suppose the biggest gain is the vast information and photos of amazing cars shared on the forum most I never knew and I’m definitely hooked on the period and old show biz photos coupled with the interesting stories often related 

thank you fellow members 

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Well I have only been a member here for about a year now but I will definitely agree with all of the previous comments.

I belong to a few other forums where there are a few 'hot shots' that think they know everything about anything and everyone seems to gravitate towards what they say.

I have caught them on more than one lie and try to correct them but it's like beating my head against the wall. So, I give up.

This forum and it's members are like a breath of fresh air. I frequent this forum more than any other that I belong to.

Just in the short time I've been here, I have learned so much about all types of antique vehicles/techniques and history that I never knew existed.

I hope to meet some of you someday in person but until that time I'll continue to pursue the various topics here and reading about all of the different types and variety of vehicles

that made history in this great county of ours.

I have always been made to feel welcomed here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was truly lost on where to begin with my Haynes project. I don’t do social media and was skeptical of joining this forum. I’m truly glad I did! I’ve learned so much about prewar cars and have been able to source tires and rims I thought to be extinct. Even better, I’ve made friends that I hope to have the rest of my life! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The forum gets the word, story, images, photos out there to people who enjoy the same type of material and the amazing history of vehicles all over the world not just in the USA. We are sharing, some can more then others, whatever you can do all adds to the bigger picture.  As a life long teacher of art, and a historian for local history as well as automotive history my desire for more information as well as to share what I know or have is well cared for here. SO many people that I would like to meet in person , and so many friends that it is just so nice to read how they are doing .  We are a family, no doubt about it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Pretty much a newbie to the forum, with limited knowledge and came here to learn. I actually love the Classics and the type cars discussed here, although at this time in my life I can only dream of affording them. I call myself a "bottom feeder" in the hobby- I tend to focus more on driving than having show quality things, and have to play with greatly abused examples, but I sure admire those of you that have the show cars.

With my life right now, two jobs, and a family, I'm limited on my work time on my antiques and simply try to keep them running and better than when I found them.

I come here to look and learn about my dream cars- Packards in particular, and in general prewar cars. The sense of camaraderie  I see here, along with the obvious good natured joking and evidence of friendships make it so enjoyable even when I'm just lurking 95 percent of the time.

• Like 4

Roscoe, welcome !  Feel comfortable to ask any questions about cars you want, we all are still on a learning journey and always will be. Old cars make us feel good and let us put up with things in life we have to contend with. Many have cars that they enjoy entering to qualify for a possible award , some trailer their cars to events, some drive. I fall into the latter category and have driven pre WWII era cars since 1965, probably 70,000 miles. We all enjoy the cars we have or can ride in for our own reasons but it is all a shared passion. Feel free to ask for answers to questions , even ones that you think may be insignificant to most people - it may not be to you  !  Always feel free to message people as well , it is how you learn.

WG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

I have been popping in on and off for a number of years and am always amazed at the scope of knowledge possessed by people on this forum.

In the last few months I am visiting more frequently as retirement has me mor engaged with my old cars.

From where I sit there are no prejudices or judgements passed here - even the seemingly idiotic gets treated with respect and a kind and respectful properly informative / instructional answer. I see this forum as an extension of every club in existence - worldwide, and it is truly a thing of beauty and a joy to participate in. Thank you from my heart to everyone here from the top down and everyone who participates.

• Like 4

As mentioned earlier by many others, the connections, friends, and knowledge gained.  This forum as kept me from making some dumb mistakes and allowed me to look at things on antique cars in a different way.  To me, that's priceless.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1