The benefits of this forum and how it has helped you.

• BobinVirginia changed the title to The benefits of this forum and how it has helped you.

There is really no substitute for the AACA, because of the comprehensive scope of the club. By encompassing all original cars from brass era to cars thirty year old, everything is on the table. In addition the scope of the club is international. I learn something new almost every day. Some amazingly knowledgeable people live here. The forum is especially important to those of us who are not served by a local chapter. This is the only way we have to communicate with all of you. 

• Like 11

Met some *really helpful* people who were very willing to share their knowledge and in some cases parts. This site has made owning and  driving June Bug much more enjoyable. 

Thanks to all contributors. 

• Like 5

Of all the forums I am on, it is the most comprehensive, the most thorough, and the most complete. Kudos to all the moderators, truthfully...

This site has enabled me to meet friends for life, service people with parts to make their dreams become reality, and, yes,

During this coronavirus pandemic, with shows cancelled all year

(I usually do 18 shows a year --- I did 4 in 2020 --- and , of course, 

N O HERSHEY --- which is always # 1 or # 2),

I was able to "survive" with the inclusion of sales from the various sites...... (Thank goodness -- at my age, I don't really want to be homeless !!!!!)

I still say, Let's get healthy as a nation, and return to Normalcy !!!!

(I hate that phrase "the new normal") I want to wear a mask only on Halloween and when I rob a bank !!!! (Not yet...) (LOL)

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I have been more or less chained to the house for a few years now. This and the model T forum have been my substitute for the club activities and conversations I used to be active with and enjoy. Also, I like to share some of what I have spent many years learning! I am very passionate about history in general, and the emergence of modern man from about the mid 1890s into the mid 1920s. The early decades of the automobile are both a cause and an effect of that tremendous shift in how the major populations of the world lived their lives. As such, they are the ultimate icons of those few decades.

Since I never got to write any of the books I wanted to, posting long winded stories, and mini-histories here may be my biggest legacy to the world. I do sometimes have to bite my fingers when it come to politics.

• Like 8

Forums like these are invaluable to the hobby! Aside from being a parts source, I have made connections with folks who share my interests in the car that I have that I could have never made without the forum. We have the opportunity to meet people from all over the world, to experience the great talents of others, such as Roger Zimmerman and his models, and to glean information like never before. I'd be lost without this venue and the folks I have meet here! Keep up the great work!

• Like 3

Even though I am considered a "hotrodder" I read this forum every day .

It enlightens me to the world of antique enovation's that have been introduced throughout the years.

The pic's are a wealth of knowledge and enjoyment that I treasure. Keep the pic's coming.

Ps, Many of my cars look perfectly stock. Many a times at car shows I have been directed to the antique area.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Number one,  I have a lots of forum buddies that have become real life buddies over the last 20 years.

Number two:  I look at the forum as an historical archive of information.   I have referred back to threads on occasion that were 15 years old or more.

I chafe a bit when people apologize for bringing a "dead" thread back to life.   It is not a chat group to me and any thread of knowledge can be added to over time.

• Like 16

4 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I have been more or less chained to the house for a few years now. This and the model T forum have been my substitute for the club activities and conversations I used to be active with and enjoy. Also, I like to share some of what I have spent many years learning! I am very passionate about history in general, and the emergence of modern man from about the mid 1890s into the mid 1920s. The early decades of the automobile are both a cause and an effect of that tremendous shift in how the major populations of the world lived their lives. As such, they are the ultimate icons of those few decades.

Since I never got to write any of the books I wanted to, posting long winded stories, and mini-histories here may be my biggest legacy to the world. I do sometimes have to bite my fingers when it come to politics.

Wayne, I’m sorry to hear you’ve been stuck in the house. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I really appreciate it and I’m sure many others do as well. 

Thanks!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Number one,  I have a lots of forum buddies that have become real life buddies over the last 20 years.

Number two:  I look at the forum as an historical archive of information.   I have referred back to threads on occasion that were 15 years old or more.

I chafe a bit when people apologize for bringing a "dead" thread back to life.   It is not a chat group to me and any thread of knowledge can be added to over time.

I hadn’t really thought of it in that way. You’re absolutely correct with that statement. This is truly an incredible archive of knowledge since it’s beginning and there’s no expiration date on any topic. 

• Like 3

Have got to know some really great guys from here, Being my cars are new compared to most its not really helpful as far as my car itself, but I love all old cars and anything I can learn is good.  

On a more selfish side, I had a member help track down what I perceived as a lost part within a few hours that was more than helpful, and in a pay it forward I just helped a fellow car owner track down parts that he had perceived as lost.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, alsancle said:

That is one reason I don't frequent the Studebaker Drivers Club Forum as much as I used to.  The Nazi moderator considers those older threads being brought back to life as 'zombie' threads which is totally wrong in my opinion.  They are usually just as relevant today as they were ten or more years ago.  And it saves myself and others having to repeat ourselves if we provided the same information in the past.

I also get annoyed when someone makes a huge issue of an older post being revived.

Craig

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Then that individual has the wrong mindset and needs to be told so without mincing words. It might get you suspended or banned in retaliation but discouraging revival of older information is how knowledge gets lost.

Though it does amuse me when someone revives a parts or car for sale thread from 10 years earlier. I know it's because most don't look at the original post date, but I guess there's always a chance the item is still available.🙂

• Like 6

The knowledge members have often times make me feel like a bigger dummy than what I thought I was. That being said they share that knowledge regardless of my thoughts and I think that is an amazing unusual action by members of other forums. The people on this are just good kind sharing knowledgeable people. I’m on this forum more and more because of this. The moderators have done a great job when needed and the best part is you never know they are watching 99.9% of the time. They step in when things get heated but that is a rare occurrence as all members seem to care more about old cars than being confrontational which is great. 
The best part is probably the fact I have fun being on this forum. 
Thanks to all that have made it that way. 
dave s 

• Like 5

Being in southern Oregon, I live in a "black hole" of parts, old car guys and information. I am SO grateful to this forum for allowing me to remedy all of those things. I especially like it when someone on this forum is passing by our home and stopping in for some coffee, beer or conversation. I have learned many things from this forum. I have made many friends on this forum. I have gotten help in so many ways. Once, my son broke his back while teaching English in Japan and the forum members helped by donating to his cause. I count on this forum to maintain my sanity. I thank you all for letting me hang out with you. Looking forward to future fun here.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

The knowledge and new friends, the opportunity to keep learning about all things automotive is invaluable. I thank all that participate. This is a fountain of knowledge and experience better than any automotive library and is a great outlet and another facet of being a true car guy. Thanks again to everyone that participates on the forums. A toast to you all. Cheers and good health, wonderful cars, and many more car adventures to come.

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Knowledge, Information, friendships, history from period photographs and images that tell us all a story , and it is keeping us somewhat sane with all the stress we have with the pandemic. 2/3 of the people that I have been in contact with because of the forums I have never met in person, but feel like I have know all of them for a long long time. I am a sentimentalist to the extreme, and it is comforting to know that there are a few more like me out there. Thank you AACA , the forums are the breath of fresh air that all of us can count on every day at any time . It is our community of enthusiasts .

Walt

• Like 13

The first thing that comes to my mind is the wealth of knowledge and how freely that knowledge is shared. I so very much appreciate all here who have taken the time to offer help and advice to me. I don't always agree with all of the opinions shared but it's good to hear some other perspectives too. 

• Like 5

In no particular order...........

-Great people who I have never met sharing their experience, wisdom, kindness, and humor.

-Information and facts about the history of so many great cars.  It's like having Beverly Rae Kimes on speed dial.

-Photos, of cars and events that aren't housed in any other source on earth like the sum total here (The smithsonian of collectible car photography).

-Great stories of how individuals fell for this great hobby......endless stories.

-"whatever you do, don't do what I did".......sharing of disasters and problems so others can learn from your mistake.

-Personal interest stories......carrying on in Dad's, Grandpa's beloved old classic that will stay in the family.

_More personal interest stories......Anniversary pictures of seniors and seeing the same couple in their younger dating years, with the same car!

-Living vicariously through other people's adventures......See Ed's Great White Story.

and maybe the thing I enjoy the most......after a long day of stress and managing all sorts of things, the ability to go to the site, and see something interesting posted by a known person, or someone new, and relax and read and forget about life's troubles and challenges.  This site is good medicine for me.  I am very grateful for it, the AACA club, the moderators and the people who post.  

• Like 9

I’ve had some rough times that have really tested me over the last year and a half. I ran into some issues recently and had people from this forum contact me out of concern. 

The good hearted nature and understanding of some people here is amazing. I’m very accustomed to a hard nosed unforgiving atmosphere. I experienced something quite different with many people on the forum. For those people that reached out to me, I can’t express how much I appreciated the support. 

I’m really hoping that the covid concerns will lighten and I’ll be able to meet more of you guys!!!! 

Thanks to all for the shared knowledge and positivity!! 

• Like 10

Gentlemen, thank you.  The work and money that has gone into this website and the future work which is way overdue, is designed primarily to help the ENTIRE hobby.  It is why we do not charge other car clubs to host their forums here.  We get our share of criticism, some deserved, so it is nice to see that the "enterprise" is in fact not taken for granted.

Bob, I think this needs to be said publicly, you have my respect.  You got sideways here, owned it like a man, and have been gracious in your discussions with the moderators.  Rare.  You are well liked on this forum so we are THRILLED that all is well here.  Thank you for starting the thread.

Bill, exactly, the forum is one of the ways we provide benefits to those who are not near any chapter or region.  Thank you!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

I like that I can interact with people who are into old interesting cars way beyond the level that I am, or could hope to be. My cars are not very expensive, but many people here are still very helpful and/or engaging even though you don't own a pristine '56 Corvette or a 1930's Packard. I received a series of very kind PM's from Walt G. the other day. He's a well known automotive journalist, and I can't imagine how I would have an opportunity to connect with someone like that if weren't for this forum. There's a very positive spirit here, IMO.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Why am I here? Simple. Good people and it’s fun. It will be 20 years here for me soon, and fifty years of Hershey...........Sxxt......I’m getting old! Today had lunch with a friend I met in Hershey in 1982. He’s about to turn 80. We were getting drunk at lunch and reliving the “good old days” of the hobby. He is starting on 54 years with the same Pierce Arrow. I’ll be 55 next week. The only down side.......all my buddies are over 70 now......well, 90 percent of them. It’s more fun today than it was forty years ago. Hoping to get another 25 years of fun before I get my dirt nap. I still have a few projects, and the mystery car up north should find it’s way south soon. The White has been more fun than any car I ever have owned........quite a statement considering all the junk that has passed through my hands......It’s mind boggling they toys I have owned and serviced. Made an offer on two more today...........seems I’m in the add it to the garage mode for the first time in a decade. More cool junk to come.......soon. Best to all the people I have met along the way......and a shout out to the few youngsters who keep in touch with me..........trying to secure the future of the hobby. Ed. 

It’s not political in nature..........

6E5936CD-7DDE-40DE-A1D0-C72285D8F5D1.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

I like that I can interact with people who are into old interesting cars way beyond the level that I am, or could hope to be. My cars are not very expensive, but many people here are still very helpful and/or engaging even though you don't own a pristine '56 Corvette or a 1930's Packard. I received a series of very kind PM's from Walt G. the other day. He's a well known automotive journalist, and I can't imagine how I would have an opportunity to connect with someone like that if weren't for this forum. There's a very positive spirit here, IMO.

I can relate to that very well. I’ve connected with people that are amazing and live in a car collector space few can imagine. 
  It’s surreal to me the conversations I’ve had with certain people from the forum. I’m just a big kid that’s never let go of a fascination for cars and engines!!! 

A few things from a day in the life of a collection manager. These are all from about three hours in one day two weeks ago...............more fun than anyone should have.

The red Volkswagen is the neighbor.........can’t believe people pay that kind of money for a air cooled bug! 

E8C8AA3D-6E0A-46F3-A683-FE1896F08C5F.jpeg

8245E401-0D08-4889-B553-23B408CBDAD0.jpeg

668A11D9-E424-48D0-9B9A-DC9B1374F51D.jpeg

30257420-60A3-4965-B1E8-4E098ED5042E.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Why am I here? Simple. Good people and it’s fun. It will be 20 years here for me soon, and fifty years of Hershey...........Shit......I’m getting old! Today had lunch with a friend I met in Hershey in 1982. He’s about to turn 80. We were getting drunk at lunch and reliving the “good old days” of the hobby. He is starting on 54 years with the same Pierce Arrow. I’ll be 55 next week. The only down side.......all my buddies are over 70 now......well, 90 percent of them. It’s more fun today than it was forty years ago. Hoping to get another 25 years of fun before I get my dirt nap. I still have a few projects, and the mystery car up north should find it’s way south soon. The White has been more fun than any car I ever have owned........quite a statement considering all the junk that has passed through my hands......It’s mind boggling they toys I have owned and serviced. Made an offer on two more today...........seems I’m in the add it to the garage mode for the first time in a decade. More cool junk to come.......soon. Best to all the people I have met along the way......and a shout out to the few youngsters who keep in touch with me..........trying to secure the future of the hobby. Ed. 

It’s not political in nature..........

6E5936CD-7DDE-40DE-A1D0-C72285D8F5D1.png

Ed, 

I welcome more posts like this anytime! What a fascinating life you live within the car world. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and stories with guys like me!!! 

• Like 1

We are all old car enthusiasts, if that car is 25-30 years old , it may seem "new" to many of us but to my 27 year old son , it was made before he was born! When I bought my first old car in 1963 it was a 1931 Plymouth model PA, it was just over 30 years old . Enjoy what you have and share it with the younger crowd who may not own something as old as you do, be patient - to them a car with running boards may be like seeing a dinosaur up close! ( as may be the owner who is showing it to them !!! 🙄) . I view myself as a storyteller , not an author, writer etc. As a historian , yes, but as one, it is important for me to pass on the information I have collected ,as that puts all the pieces of the history puzzle together.

I can't "give back" to many many friends who helped me in the past, they are gone, and I am sad that they are - BUT I honor their genuine friendship by trying to treat others the way they treated me. Be happy and share your happiness. End of rant #267 ...............................😇

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Walt, you are being modest saying you are just a storyteller. From what I have seen and read by you I think a more appropriate title would be an “artist that tells historical correct fascinating stories”. Your art work and printed work totally supports this fact. We appreciate you and the art & stories you have shared with us. 
dave s 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2021 at 9:24 AM, 8E45E said:

That is one reason I don't frequent the Studebaker Drivers Club Forum as much as I used to.  The Nazi moderator considers those older threads being brought back to life as 'zombie' threads which is totally wrong in my opinion.  They are usually just as relevant today as they were ten or more years ago.  And it saves myself and others having to repeat ourselves if we provided the same information in the past.

I also get annoyed when someone makes a huge issue of an older post being revived.

Craig

I seldom go to the Studebaker Drivers Club Forum for the same reasons. It's a shame as the cars are losing interest instead of gaining or at least holding due to such unwelcoming Nazi's at the helm.

On this AACA forum it's great to see some topic revived that I missed from years ago that still piques interest and allows for updating.

• Like 3

The story of Ed's White adventure alone is worth checking in on daily. We need more threads like that!

As a side note, I had Ed pegged as a seasoned old Curmudgeon and he's only 55?! I'm 57 and consider myself one of the young guys! My birthday coming up next week as well. 58 here I come! 

• Like 5