Wheels - What to do with 4 1990 road rashed wheels.

Roadster90

For some reason I have been hoarding 4 ..... 90 model wheels for years.  I thought when I had time I would trailer them to a recycling location 30 miles away.  I called the recycler, and out of curiosity asked what they would bring cash wise.....answer was $0.25 a pound........Is that right ?  Any other suggestions of what I can do with them please?  Thanks !

Nic,

Only four? :)

I have been sitting on these Reatta wheels for quite some time now.  My local junk yard has a pile of tens of thousands of aluminum wheels just sitting there.

Oops, if someone looks close there are four Corvette wheels in that pile.

wheels.jpg

Edited by Jim (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Good Grief Charlie Brown.......or Jim :)     Excellent tree display for sure.  The Arbor Day Foundation would probably find the picture interesting.....

I was just holding on to the wheels for when I traveled close to the recycler - I was under the impression that the metal had some value - Wrooooong.  I will put a "for free" posting on the NextDoor site.

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Nic,

Only four? :)

I have been sitting on these Reatta wheels for quite some time now.  My local junk yard has a pile of tens of thousands of aluminum wheels just sitting there.

Oops, if someone looks close there are four Corvette wheels in that pile.

wheels.jpg

i have four in the attic.

i thought there was a national shortage of aluminum cans.

Why for how come cans are worth something, and the wheels not ?  Many years ago I remember a fellow that worked for me took several wheels to a recycler, and received 22-23.00 each......is there magnesium or something maybe mixed in with the aluminum lowering the value ?

1 hour ago, Roadster90 said:

Why for how come cans are worth something, and the wheels not ?  Many years ago I remember a fellow that worked for me took several wheels to a recycler, and received 22-23.00 each......is there magnesium or something maybe mixed in with the aluminum lowering the value ?

They are alloy wheels with aluminum being the base metal but what the other metals are can vary. I imagine you are spot on regarding the purity of the material having a bearing on the value🤑 

OK - I still wondered....the recycler I called was run/owned by.....females :).  They quoted me $0.25 a pound or about $5 - 6.00 a wheel.  I just decided to call another recycling yard.........depending on the true weight of course....@  a $0.55 quote per pound I imagine the 4 wheels are ..... really ..... probably worth $45.00 to $50.00.  Mr. Finn, With that return you could take the Mrs. to dinner more that a couple of times I would think :) 

On 3/5/2021 at 12:42 PM, Roadster90 said:

OK - I still wondered....the recycler I called was run/owned by.....females :).  They quoted me $0.25 a pound or about $5 - 6.00 a wheel.  I just decided to call another recycling yard.........depending on the true weight of course....@  a $0.55 quote per pound I imagine the 4 wheels are ..... really ..... probably worth $45.00 to $50.00.  Mr. Finn, With that return you could take the Mrs. to dinner more that a couple of times I would think :) 

The wheels weigh about 21# each. That makes them worth $ 11.55 each so I guess you are right with about 50 of them, that is more than I was thinking. Maybe I will take them to the crusher.

On 3/9/2021 at 10:32 AM, Jim said:

The wheels weigh about 21# each. That makes them worth $ 11.55 each so I guess you are right with about 50 of them, that is more than I was thinking. Maybe I will take them to the crusher.

Jim just melt a set down and have them painted yellow to look like a Coors cans. Stop by Colorado  AND GETEM FILLED WELL YOU KNOW THE DRILL

12 hours ago, Booreatta said:

Jim just melt a set down and have them painted yellow to look like a Coors cans. Stop by Colorado  AND GETEM FILLED WELL YOU KNOW THE DRILL

Four of them would make a nice Keg.