Jump to content

1936 Dodge Bro grill crank cover-to weld or not?


Recommended Posts

Afternoon folks, I am a new owner of an all original 1936 dodge bros 2 door sedan touring, all original with the usual missing parts: two small side trim pieces and crank hole cover. I have found one, very expensive in the 4 figure range but original. My question for the folks with the crank cover on, did you weld the pieces together and smooth out the horizontal line so it looks like it was a part of the grill or just install and leave as is? I will be taking the grill off when it warms up to start fixing a few broken pieces on the existing grill. Any info and pics appreciated! Here is my new girl and grill: 

 

944562B3-CB6E-4DDE-9AD1-5500897F1023.jpeg

997FA4F8-4B74-4C96-B34F-A1DAB2A5246D.jpeg

AE62443B-3DD8-439D-A281-B018424F3EF9.jpeg

7798405F-063F-4D6F-ADA7-29056B29510E.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On a car that nice I would make a sheet metal filler that can be easily installed and removed in the future. Make it so it follows the original contour and paint it a complimenting color and it will be almost unnoticeable. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum! Your 36 Dodge grill is going to be the most expensive piece to replace, as you’ve found out. I believe somebody out there does a reproduction piece made of alloy. The original is made of pot metal. Not really weldable. 

92EF4C03-E36C-4E16-B556-3719ABE5DD1D.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Steve9 said:

Welcome to the forum! Your 36 Dodge grill is going to be the most expensive piece to replace, as you’ve found out. I believe somebody out there does a reproduction piece made of alloy. The original is made of pot metal. Not really weldable. 

92EF4C03-E36C-4E16-B556-3719ABE5DD1D.jpeg

Beautiful car and thank you for the info! I have contacted some places that can make the crank hole cover but they all start at $1,000 and go up! Just going to have to suck it up i guess!

 

I like your car color! Debating on whether to paint mine or keep the original look in the pictures.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/pts/d/hillsboro-1937-dodge/7275931446.html

 

Haven't talked to this guy in a couple of weeks, but he told me that he was going to try and keep these around $300.....Maybe it was $350, but it is hand made of stainless and polished quite nicely.

Tell him I sent you.

 

And yes, absolutely tie them on or you will be looking for another one.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, JACK M said:

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/pts/d/hillsboro-1937-dodge/7275931446.html

 

Haven't talked to this guy in a couple of weeks, but he told me that he was going to try and keep these around $300.....Maybe it was $350, but it is hand made of stainless and polished quite nicely.

Tell him I sent you.

 

And yes, absolutely tie them on or you will be looking for another one.

Thank you Jack M! I sent him a message. What about some good jb weld to help keep it in place and good for pot metal?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Talk to a pro detailer. You'd be surprised what he can do with the paint. You may spend a few hundred. But paint would be thousands. Clean it up drive it and enjoy it FIRST. 

Know pros where i live, lol. Paint is the last thing, interior and grill are number 1 on the list...interior is completely roached! Grill work i can do inside my house to stay warm 😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

I doubt JB would work.

I use four tiny zip ties. and being behind the bumper no one has ever noticed.

Been reading up on how to fix cracks in pot metals, still have more videos to watch. Noticeable if front bumper is removed, lol. Thanks for the info!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Fossil said:

On a car that nice I would make a sheet metal filler that can be easily installed and removed in the future. Make it so it follows the original contour and paint it a complimenting color and it will be almost unnoticeable. 

I totally disagree it would look like a homemade piece of, I don’t know about you but I think the 36 Dodge grill is one of the cleanest of all and it would definitely be noticed. To each his own, but I’m trying to build a clean 36 Dodge like a lot of fellow’s here have. Clean inside and out. Do it right the first time.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Uptowndodge said:

I totally disagree it would look like a homemade piece of,

This was meant as something temporary. Having owned a 36 Dodge in the past I can tell you that grille parts aren't easily found. Especially nice parts. 

The suggestion was only meant to cover an ugly hole until appropriate replacement for the original can be found. That's why I stated "easily installed and removed in the future".

6 hours ago, Uptowndodge said:

I totally disagree it would look like a homemade piece of,

Our own skills should not be used to pre-judge the skills of others.  I'm guilty of this and ended up eating humble pie. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can only speak from experience.

IT WAS NOT DONE RIGHT THE FIRST TIME WHEN NEW.

That's why you are spending money now.

Do as you please, but the stock clips (which I doubt this repop has) wont hold the cover if you hit the right bump. (ask me how I know)

With the very small white zip ties mostly hidden in the grooves no one ever noticed. It may be possible to hide what ever method one uses by drilling some holes in the back to tie them somehow.

 It would occur to me if you are not running the bumper its not as original anyway.

 

As for the JB weld, I still have my doubts. I used it on something once and it didn't work and haven't used any since.

I suspect that in the last 30 years or so since I had some there must be better products made than that junk.

What about this new glue that comes with that light thingy that hardens it into plastic?

My brother gave me one of those kits for Christmas and swears its the best glue he has ever used. I have not tried it yet.

It may hold the piece together but I wouldn't use it for mounting.

 

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=SWBCYOKsCIjy-gTWpb6YCw&iflsig=AINFCbYAAAAAYEJuWcdo9q6OeWstiuO2AGpnt_dsr38R&q=bondic+liquid+plastic+welder&oq=bondic&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAEYAjIFCAAQsQMyBQgAELEDMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAA6CAgAEOoCEI8BOg4ILhCxAxDHARCjAhCTAjoLCC4QsQMQxwEQowI6CAgAELEDEIMBOgIILjoICC4QxwEQowI6CwguEMcBEKMCEJMCOggILhCxAxCDAToFCC4QsQM6CAguEMcBEK8BOggILhCxAxCTAlDYFFjOLmCUTmgBcAB4AIABTIgBhgOSAQE2mAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdperABCg&sclient=gws-wiz#spf=1614962772135

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JACK M said:

I can only speak from experience.

IT WAS NOT DONE RIGHT THE FIRST TIME WHEN NEW.

That's why you are spending money now.

Do as you please, but the stock clips (which I doubt this repop has) wont hold the cover if you hit the right bump. (ask me how I know)

With the very small white zip ties mostly hidden in the grooves no one ever noticed. It may be possible to hide what ever method one uses by drilling some holes in the back to tie them somehow.

 It would occur to me if you are not running the bumper its not as original anyway.

 

As for the JB weld, I still have my doubts. I used it on something once and it didn't work and haven't used any since.

I suspect that in the last 30 years or so since I had some there must be better products made than that junk.

What about this new glue that comes with that light thingy that hardens it into plastic?

My brother gave me one of those kits for Christmas and swears its the best glue he has ever used. I have not tried it yet.

It may hold the piece together but I wouldn't use it for mounting.

 

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=SWBCYOKsCIjy-gTWpb6YCw&iflsig=AINFCbYAAAAAYEJuWcdo9q6OeWstiuO2AGpnt_dsr38R&q=bondic+liquid+plastic+welder&oq=bondic&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAEYAjIFCAAQsQMyBQgAELEDMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAA6CAgAEOoCEI8BOg4ILhCxAxDHARCjAhCTAjoLCC4QsQMQxwEQowI6CAgAELEDEIMBOgIILjoICC4QxwEQowI6CwguEMcBEKMCEJMCOggILhCxAxCDAToFCC4QsQM6CAguEMcBEK8BOggILhCxAxCTAlDYFFjOLmCUTmgBcAB4AIABTIgBhgOSAQE2mAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdperABCg&sclient=gws-wiz#spf=1614962772135

Thank you for the great info Jack! I am doing the best google-searching i can do with my limited knowledge on that kind of metal used for the grill. Thanks again, any and all info is appreciated and very helpful!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/4/2021 at 6:13 AM, Mickaisy said:

Beautiful car and thank you for the info! I have contacted some places that can make the crank hole cover but they all start at $1,000 and go up! Just going to have to suck it up i guess!

 

I like your car color! Debating on whether to paint mine or keep the original look in the pictures.

Definitely paint it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Uptowndodge said:

Definitely paint it

Hey Uptown, i am hoping i can still submit my serial number to get the build info and see exactly what it was painted originally. I wish painting prices haven't skyrocketed like they have, sooo much cheaper to leave the patina and protect it than a whole new paint job! I have a '53 Oldsmobile too that was painted 3 different greens on each different panel! Lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congratulation on acquiring such a neat car.  Here's a thread about another recent D2 discovery.  I listed production numbers for D2 models in the thread.
 

 

And here's my own thread on my D2 four door sedan project.
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pete in PA said:

Congratulation on acquiring such a neat car.  Here's a thread about another recent D2 discovery.  I listed production numbers for D2 models in the thread.
 

 

And here's my own thread on my D2 four door sedan project.
 

 

Thanks for sending me those links, tons of great info and history! I haven't attempted to see if my windshield opens yet. Kinda cool to know i own a car that only about 37,000 were produced!! Once it warms up snd i can give her a good wash, will post a better intro topic with pics! Thank you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2021 at 8:20 AM, Mickaisy said:

Thanks for sending me those links, tons of great info and history! I haven't attempted to see if my windshield opens yet. Kinda cool to know i own a car that only about 37,000 were produced!! Once it warms up snd i can give her a good wash, will post a better intro topic with pics! Thank you

Proceed carefully with cranking that windshield out! Make double sure there’s no glues, silicone sealer, anything that may cause the crank and mechanism to bind up. The crank housing is made from pot metal and will snap like a twig if reefed on! Ask me how I know. You should probably get some grease into the gears there too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Steve9 said:

Proceed carefully with cranking that windshield out! Make double sure there’s no glues, silicone sealer, anything that may cause the crank and mechanism to bind up. The crank housing is made from pot metal and will snap like a twig if reefed on! Ask me how I know. You should probably get some grease into the gears there too.

Thanks for the tips! I have not looked under the dash yet to see the mechanism. I will get some grease and lube and maybe try this weekend. Thanks again!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do proceed with caution when attempting to crank open that windshield.  Getting the windshield to open on my car was an epic multi-day struggle.  It was tightly sealed by some sort of thick foam weatherstripping that had hardened to something rock-like and bonded to both the windshield frame and the opening. 

IMG_4582.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pete in PA said:

Do proceed with caution when attempting to crank open that windshield.  Getting the windshield to open on my car was an epic multi-day struggle.  It was tightly sealed by some sort of thick foam weatherstripping that had hardened to something rock-like and bonded to both the windshield frame and the opening. 

IMG_4582.JPG

Definitely will! You should have posted a diy video of the steps and process!👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...