Saw this 1967 Ford F-250 4x4 today

Super clean originally a ranch truck from Montana. Current owner put chrome hubcaps on and used a holesaw to cut open room for the front axle hubs. Original paint, interior, 352 with 4 speed. Terrific truck!

22D35B79-3D7A-4431-98FF-2213D3EC9D09.jpeg

967D675F-CAF5-4D48-AC74-0B5BA8B4314E.jpeg

29338D9A-8C24-4337-96FD-9FF317C9BC8E.jpeg

• Like 5

The ‘67-‘72 Ford trucks are great; but I own a ‘70 F-100 Explorer. These trucks changed grille styles each year, while the sheet metal remained unchanged. The Chevy/GMC’s of this era are a hot item right now, but the Fords are gaining popularity. As they were mass produced, there are loads of spare parts floating around. It’s not unusual to see NOS fenders and rust free doors at swap meets. On the East Coast, FWD examples would be very rare. Not so much in the northwest where the forestry industry demanded off road capability.

A4B177C2-4DC8-464C-90F9-CFE6371C29B0.jpeg

• Like 3

Im in MD, large farming community. Very rarely ever seen 4 wheel drives of this era. Maybe a few old dodge power wagons but dont think I have ever seen a Ford of this vintage 4wd around. Pop had a 67 F100 with a 390, 3 on the tree. My first vehicle I actually drove on the road. I was 15 and running the roads with it. His truck was green. This one looks pretty nice.

2 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Im in MD, large farming community. Very rarely ever seen 4 wheel drives of this era. Maybe a few old dodge power wagons but dont think I have ever seen a Ford of this vintage 4wd around. Pop had a 67 F100 with a 390, 3 on the tree. My first vehicle I actually drove on the road. I was 15 and running the roads with it. His truck was green. This one looks pretty nice.

On the subject of rarely seen 60s or 70s Ford 4x4’s, a guy I knew who owned a towing company at Tahoe City, California, had to make a special order to get a new 1979 Ford 4x4 tow truck because they did not offer them. He said it was like pulling teeth! Funny nowadays cause everybody drives 4x4 trucks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steve9 said:

On the subject of rarely seen 60s or 70s Ford 4x4’s, a guy I knew who owned a towing company at Tahoe City, California, had to make a special order to get a new 1979 Ford 4x4 tow truck because they did not offer them. He said it was like pulling teeth! Funny nowadays cause everybody drives 4x4 trucks.

Absolutely. A new 2 door pickup with an 8ft bed, 2wd is about as rare as a.....well I dont know but pick any car that is rare, LOL.

1996 I was in the market for a new work truck, wanted an F150. I had a hard time getting one just like I described above. Lots of extra cab models, not many 4 doors at that time though. And most had short beds. I went to 3 big dealers, finally found one that had 2 trucks out of prob. 50 that fit the bill.

• Like 1

My nephew just became the owner of a very nice 1969 Ford 4X4, after he saved it from a friend's hulk hauler, on it's way to the scrap yard. It belonged to an old man who couldn't get it running and just gave up on the truck. Original PNW truck decent original paint, no rust, 390 four speed. Not exactly kosher, the driver risked loosing his license, but nobody wanted to see that one scrapped. My nephew is a fine mechanic and had the truck running good in an hour.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, TAKerry said:

A new 2 door pickup with an 8ft bed, 2wd is about as rare as a.....well I dont know but pick any car that is rare, LOL.

Exactly the reason I'm still driving this one. 4.6 with a 5 spd. 1997

Pickup.thumb.jpg.c033bd8644a866405a739bd0094d632d.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Fossil said:

Exactly the reason I'm still driving this one. 4.6 with a 5 spd. 1997

Pickup.thumb.jpg.c033bd8644a866405a739bd0094d632d.jpg

Mine was dark red/maroon with the gold below the lower body moulding. Nice riding truck.  Curiosity, what year is that? Where does your exhaust exit? Mine came out right in front of the pass side rear wheel. I have never seen another like that. People thought I changed it but it was indeed off the show room floor. It was a very early model though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Curiosity, what year is that? Where does your exhaust exit?

It's a 1997. Originally the exhaust came out the back. It now has dual exhaust. There was a guy at work that had an F-150 with the exhaust come out in front of the rear tire. He was not the type to mess with his truck so I know it was stock. I noticed it because it was unusual. Don't remember if it was 2 or 4 wheel drive. 

These pickups do ride very nice and this is the second one I've owned. 

• Like 1

Late 1950's Chevy and GMC 4 x 4 's were Napco conversions. Factory supplied , but modified for General Motors by Napco. I believe 1960 and up were straight from GM as 4 x 4's.

I think the situation was much the same with 1950's and older Ford products except the conversions were done by Marmon - Herrington.

I believe the conversion units ended up being quite expensive compared to the base price of the 2 WD starting point. Relatively small production compared to the factory built 4 x 4's of the 1960's and up.

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 2

My nephew also has a 1964 F250 4X4, 292, Y Block, 4sp. It too is an original PNW truck with no rust. 1964 was the first all Ford 4X4. Pervious to that I believe that the chassis were built by NPCO. Don't hold me to NPCO, while I do believe that's correct. So my curiosity got the best of me so I looked it up, and found this very informative article.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/valuation/these-3-light-duty-50s-trucks-broke-ground-on-four-wheel-drive/

Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I've always liked these F 150 models. Hard to find in Ontario Canada due to heavy salting

The only ones for sale now are southern USA imports and command big bucks.

Wish I knew then what I know now...woulda" never parted with it. Earned a trophy competing too. A 1977 F-250 Hi-Boy , early 77 with the divorced 205 transfer case. 

20180321_183419.jpg

• Like 2