Update on the ‘63 Spyder Convertible

This is one of my dad’s cars that had been sitting since the 80’s. I had no idea what condition it was in or why it had been sitting so long. 

A friend offered to check it out. Today he told me the engine is free, it has spark and compression and with a new fuel pump and fresh gas, it should run. I’m so excited!

Of course we are a long way from a driver, but it’s a start. 😍 It will need a battery, brakes, possible rebuild on the turbo, a good wash and much more, but I’m hoping to get it on the road again one day. (Last pic is from the 80’s). 

014D57A5-385E-4AD0-B507-1564BE28A78E.jpeg

97DB2AC8-34A7-4B23-88F5-8D171D5F4FC2.jpeg

25B58037-30F1-4E7C-B2D6-EA4A5F83C097.jpeg

• Like 7

VERY COOL! I am restoring it big brother (or is it little brother) 1962 Olds Jetfire. The Jetfire along with the Spyder were the first turbocharged automobiles. Looking forward to updates! I have a thread here on my Jetfire I am restoring. I can't say I know much about the Corvair but just a little piece of advice I found on the Olds, DO NOT TOSS ANYTHING OUT, lol! At least on the Jetfire, no matter how much I don't think I would ever need it I find that I do need it. Just like that fuel pump. If the old one was original, I would save it. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jensenracing77 said:

That explains why my dad had so much “junk” in his shop. You’d be surprised how much stuff I threw out!

I checked out the Olds thread. I was under the impression the Spyder was the first production turbo. It’s interesting to read about the Jetfire. What a detailed restoration you’re doing. It looks amazing! 👏👏

On 3/3/2021 at 1:14 AM, victorialynn2 said:

That explains why my dad had so much “junk” in his shop. You’d be surprised how much stuff I threw out!

I checked out the Olds thread. I was under the impression the Spyder was the first production turbo. It’s interesting to read about the Jetfire. What a detailed restoration you’re doing. It looks amazing! 👏👏

Thanks. For the most part they were really both first but to actually go a buy one from a dealer the Olds was first by 2 or 3 weeks. I researched it at the GM Heritage center. There is an exact date the Jetfire was available to buy. Sadly, there is no document for that day for the Chevy but there are documents that show Chevy production started about the time the Olds was available to buy. It is splitting hairs really as both were a late 62 release. There are some places that say the Chevy was first because they did show their prototype at an auto show before Olds showed the Jetfire prototype at a show. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update on the Spyder: 

My buddy Tim gave the Spyder a bath and vacuum for me and brought it home until I get parts and he has time to work on it more, probably in the fall. 

He found a black, tar like substance in the fuel line, so we will replace the fuel tank, lines, filter & pump (pump is already installed). Also going to get vac line, turbo rebuild kit and check on a rebuilt carb for it. It needs a battery also now that we know it has spark and compression.  He used an extra battery to test it. 

I’m going to work on detailing inside and out in the meantime. It already looks better than I thought it would. Not a trailer queen by a long shot, but will be a fun 4 speed to drive when it’s done! 

44AD85B6-B947-4AAF-BE2B-F5E9C5B4BD28.jpeg

90C3F0FB-A422-4905-8574-CBF43FAA0818.jpeg

582B4E0C-4347-4663-883E-4C4442636B75.jpeg

F7852224-C4A3-4FB7-9084-26960661AE6A.jpeg

CC93FD94-B495-4831-8DC8-CB04EA2DE58B.jpeg

• Like 3