1951 Plymouth Cambridge

PJJ

This is my first post although I have visited many times to seek info.  My 51 Plymouth runs decent but it does bog down even in idle if I give about half pedal sudden like. If I slowly depress pedal it’s fine. There is an adjustment screw on carb,( I only see one, not counting idle adjustment) but it has no affect on the engine. Does anyone think it is most likely a carb problem or should I be looking elsewhere?  Thanks for any advice!

Edited by PJJ
Incorrect wording (see edit history)

I didn’t think that would be the problem cause I was moving the throttle by hand last week and I thought I could hear the gas squirting in there.  But doing the visual like you suggested I didn’t see any gas whatsoever getting in.  So I’ll start looking for a carb kit. Do you think kits are hard to find for that 51 Plymouth.  Thanks!!  I appreciate your help.

Kit should not be hard to find. You could try the Carb King if you can't find one locally. Suggest you get the factory manual and set the carb up according to that, either the Plymouth manual or Carter manual, or a MoToR Repair Manual. The sheet they send out with the carb kits is incomplete and filled with errors.

Ok, I’ll look on the web. Hopefully I can just download one. This car has been in the family since it was driven off the lot and so I have some engine and rebuild books but none of those has the carb specs you speak of.  This is a nice forum to have so backyard mechanics like me can find help on these classic old cars.  Thanks 

PJJ,

I have the NEW Material / Ethanol Gas Compatible Carburetor Kits 

--- which are critical --- with this garbage gas we are forced to acquire.....

Always best to simply call me --- Craig --- 516 - 485 - 1935....

(I have MOUNTAINS of NEW Parts for your car !!!!! U.S.A. made !!!!!)

• Like 1

The carb should be a Carter Ball and Ball D6H2.

***The accelerator pump leather possibly has shrunk up..

***The accelerator pump jet located behind the aluminum plug is blocked with debris

***Or one of the check balls is stuck or missing.

Simple carb to rebuild if you have done carbs before.

Yes I’ve done a few carbs in the past just on late 70’s and 80’s, never something this old. I’ll look at that number when get carb off in next couple days. While I have it apart to clean it up I guess I’ll do a rebuild too. It would be interesting to only clean it out and see if functions though. Thanks very much for all the help!!

On some B and B carbs that had no Squirt I pull the carb top off.

Then make sure the fuel bowl is full of gas. Then grab the very top of the pump plunger and pull it up and release it watching for any signs of fuel bubbling up around the pump plunger leather cup ...if so meaning the pump leather cup has shrunk up. There is a small coil spring behind that leather cup which helps keep it expanded.

I have many times used a pen point to re-flare outward the leather cup to temporarily fix a no squirt accelerator pump problem.

Another very common reason for weak or no squirt is the pump jet where the fuel squirts out is plugged. With that issue I simply use a soft wire to clear it out. Might take a couple try's. I also sometimes quickly remove the aluminum plug net to it and unscrew the jet to clean it... always during a rebuild.

Fill the bowl with fuel and make sure the pump plunger pushes a good strong squirt of fuel out the accelerator venturi jet to be sure after a rebuild or quick fix job.

The middle picture is just showing a very dirty pump jet. The hole in it is not the one that plugs up. The hole that can plug up is at the end of the jet that is at the venturi wall.... bottom picture.

C38 Carter carb internal parts ID.JPG

Carter B and B Acceleraton passage Ball Plug (1).JPG

D6H2-2.jpg

Edited by c49er (see edit history)
  • Like 3