Gold vs. Blue

Steve_Mack_CT

Ok, I am assuming the different engine colors denote different plants, but will ask anyway (also a way to gauge interest in this new section), what gives and why do some ads phrase things to make one color seem better on what I believe to be the same engine size and hp? 

Should be easy for Mustang folks.  

I grew up on Chevy orange so please educate me on the Ford side. 😊

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Ford changed the colors on the engines early in Mustang production. Early V8 cars had black painted block and heads with gold tinwork and sometime in mid-65 or early '66 changed to the more familiar all-blue color scheme.

Six-cylinder cars had their own combinations, too, including black block and heads with orange tinwork as well as the later all Ford Blue.

It doesn't denote horsepower but perhaps the sellers are trying to indicate it is correctly restored. It's particularly notable on early cars (incorrectly and stupidly but apparently permanently called the 64-1/2 cars).

• Like 2

Thanks also to Lee Iacocca. He is the person at Ford that was responsible for the 1/2 year cars. He liked the idea of coming out with special mid-year offerings to boost the lineup for the spring sales season. The Mustang was the first all new car that was offered as a 1/2 year car by Ford. The other 1/2 year offerings (which started with the 1962 Ford lineup) were mostly trim and interior differences.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

• Like 1