Is this uncommon looking old handle automotive?

Years ago I got a load of mixed vintage car parts an auction or estate, or such. Among those items was an old handle which LOOKS automotive. But it is attached via set screw to a hexagonal shaft that is nearly a foot long. I tried to think of an automotive (or truck) application, like maybe a trunk or rumble seat latch, or maybe a tail gate. But, I have never seen one like it. 

I wondered about old appliances, like "ice boxes," etc. Still doesn't seem to fit for me. Maybe a compartment on a commercial truck or fire apparatus? I dunno. 

Over the years I've dug this old handle/shaft combo out of the box, and tried to figure out what it is for. Only to give up and put it back in a box in a corner somewhere. IF someone needs this, I'll bet they would be really happy to find it. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Cheers! 

IMG_4116.JPG

IMG_4117.JPG

IMG_4118.JPG

IMG_4119.JPG

IMG_4120.JPG

Lump, I don't specifically recognize it, so I'll

try to apply some logic, which might give clues

to you and others.

---The handle looks longer than those I've seen

on auto bodies.  Would this preclude its being on a car?

---It looks less graceful than things I've seen on cars.

Though it's styled similarly, could its use be commercial?

---In any given decade, styles of design tend to be

spread throughout many uses.  Even though it's

styled like a car's door handle, I think the same style

could have been used on many consumer or 

commercial products, not merely vehicles.

• Like 1

I agree with 28 Chrysler. If not for an insulated cooler door, then some kind of very thick door. The hexagonal rod would allow it to slide through the door and fit some type of interior mechanism, while the nut on the other end could fit an interior handle. 

The handle part doesn't appear to be substantial enough to be for a walk-in cooler door.  Even the old household round-top refrigerators from the 1940's and '50's had thicker and heavier handles than that.

Craig

• Like 1
6 hours ago, 8E45E said:

The handle part doesn't appear to be substantial enough to be for a walk-in cooler door.  Even the old household round-top refrigerators from the 1940's and '50's had thicker and heavier handles than that.

Craig

I agree with Craig. This handle looks pretty delicate, with that long, thin hand-grip portion. Yet the steel hexagonal shaft is pretty beefy. I hate to throw it away...but...? 

4 hours ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

Old kerosene stove or furnace damper handle maybe? I don’t think automotive...

They were made of expanded coiled wire with lots of air space in and around so it remained cool to the touch. 

Craig

• Like 1