Who is This? (Test your automobile history knowledge)

B Jake Moran

"The sales-engineering of ours continued at an increasing pace, especially from 1905 to 1915 when some of the manufacturers, such as Ford, Cadillac, Buick, Olds, Hudson, Reo, Willys and others, began to develop important volume. Hyatt's business flowed logically where ever we had customers like these that stayed in business and grew."  

Sorry no prize for guessing right but when I read it in a book (an autobiography pretty much) I thought it was an interesting puzzler. 

13 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

"...Hyatt's business flowed logically where ever we had customers like these that stayed in business and grew." 

I assume "Hyatt" is Hyatt Roller Bearings, so is the quote from Sloan?

3 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

I assume "Hyatt" is Hyatt Roller Bearings, so is the quote from Sloan?

Correct.  That didn't take long.  From the book "My Years with General Motors" by Peter F Drucker and Alfred P Sloan Jr.  

Just got started reading, but interesting that Sloan earned a degree from MIT in Electrical Engineering.  

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)

I have probably read My Years with General Motors by Sloan four times. He might be one of the few, including today, who ever walked into a dealership. He and Ed Cole would have made a good team.

Every snowy morning when I open the door on my Silverado and a load of snow dumps on the seat I think "Ed Cole wouldn't have allowed that".

Tom Toal, carburetor engineer at Rochester Products was always requested as a driver when Cole came to Rochester. Lot's of good stories from those days.

Yes I am just starting to understand Sloan's genius.  Obviously when he started automobiles were in their infancy so he wasn't like Henry Ford or the Dodge Brothers, Chevrolets or Duesenbergs.  But he had an intimate understanding.  In this section of the book it explains that American entrepreneurial exceptionalism that defined this era.  Hyatt was a floundering company until Sloan's dad put $5000 into it and deginated a couple of guys including Alfred to run it.  

Alfred would get new business by engineering applications of the bearings to the customer's car, and new applications in those cars not considered before.   Then boom, the company took off. 

This then gave him an important understanding of the automobile which served him well.  But that is getting ahead of the story. 

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)