1947 Lincoln headlight switch removal

djwlz

Has anyone ever removed the headlight switch from the inside of a 1947 Lincoln Continental?  It appears the entire chrome front on the dash has to be removed.  I have removed the radio so I can sort of see the switch.  It is very difficult to test the switch, but it appears almost 7 volts are coming into it, and 4.75 to 5 are going out.  Does anyone have experience with one of these cars in regard to removal of the headlight switch?

Thank you for reading this.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

The shop manual says to remove the headlight switch:

Remove the knob set screw and then remove the knob. Next remove the nut that holds the switch to the bracket and remove the switch from the back of the dash. The wires are soldered onto the switch.

I would try to operate that switch about 50 or so times to clean the contacts before going through the removal process. Do it with the battery disconnected. Then reconnect the battery and retest. If you still get the low reading, you will have to remove the switch to replace or repair it.

I just saw this. You should post questions in the Lincoln section of this Forum for a more timely reply.

https://forums.aaca.org/forum/23-lincoln-zephyr/