16V flywheel/clutch differences

OK, so I learned a lesson today. I was attempting to assemble my new clutch to my flywheel on my 16V engine. In this car I am not using the Getrag, I have swapped to an A568. I knew that the dust tins were different, but I thought that was just because of the transmission...NOPE! The 16V uses a LARGER flywheel than the other Turbo Mopar cars. Not only does the clutch not bolt up, but the entire flywheel is too big for the bellhousing! 

So, I just wanted to share that little tid-bit with everyone in case you might have a 16V car that you are planning to swap the transmission on. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Hemi Dude said:

Here is an experience that could have been avoided if you were a member of the TC America club. So many people here on AACA would benefit from membership.

I have meant to join a few times, but just never have. I need to check back in to see if they have gotten the online membership thing working. Honestly, that was my hold-up...being able to send my payment.

3 hours ago, Hemi Dude said:

Here is an experience that could have been avoided if you were a member of the TC America club. So many people here on AACA would benefit from membership.

Oh, and you were one of the first people I thought of to ask, but I was in a time crunch and I didn't know if you were available.

The TC America, Inc. can be accessed via: 

Chrysler TC by Maserati - Home (chryslertcbymaseraticlub.com) or by clicking near the top of this AACA site.  Once on the site click on the Membership tab and complete the information.  Payment is cash or check made out to TC America, Inc. for $39.50 and you can mail it to me at TC America, 4522 W. Village Dr. #148, Tampa, FL  33624.  We were not able to work out an agreement with PayPal and Visa and the like are to expensive.

Thanks Reaper1 that’s another good reason to swap to a large spline 523 when my clutch eventually goes. For now I baby it which is no fun. I have a different car fun fun though I guess. I swapped a 2.4 turbo into a 91 Spirit R/T. That’s kind of the way to go now. Every bolt on part available and more power out of the box. Mines a very modest build for daily driving. Just need to finish up the AC before next SDAC and I’ll take the whole family with in it. 42DF5A9D-8402-45C5-9736-5BF25605BCA4.thumb.jpeg.4e7c487bc59f04a5f398da9f302bf967.jpeg

• Like 2

Incase anyone’s interested Jackson sells laser cut powder coated conversion mounts for $250 shipped. For both early and late TC’s. They bolt in and great and the engine will be centered and level. He’s a chassis fabricator. The cam driven distributor conversion is also bolt on and go. Very simple to swap in a 2.4 now days.2660B865-F1CA-422B-AC1E-CCE0E96457EC.thumb.jpeg.919c34be9e71b3a8fd42bfd5720648b3.jpeg

Edited by Turbo Kane
Typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have a spare Pt cruiser 2.4 turbo for sale in WI. $750 for the complete engine or $950 with conversion mounts included. Bolt in an easy 300 hp for under $1000. You’ll need a neon srt-4 intake manifold to make it fit it a TCA8BEF2AD-7A4D-4434-819C-24AC3BD3E687.thumb.jpeg.f4b733e51bced70a82b2192a09bc7b4d.jpeg

• Like 1

That looks like it would be a great conversion for a TC. Unfortunately no shop, no lift but too many years. Anyway I’d like to see my 8 valve hit 300K mi. Should make that on the trip to National and back home in September.

Edited by Hemi Dude
conversation changed to conversion (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I bet you have the most miles ever put on a TC. The best part about the 8v’s and A413’s they are so simple to work on. As long as you have a spare HEP and SMEC power board you should roll 300k easy! I used to keep a spare in my glove box when I daily drove a 8v turbo caravan. 

• Like 2