For Sale: 1963 Ford Thunderbird Landau - "Clean Bird" - Castaic, CA - Not Mine - 3/20 SOLD!

For sale on Facebook: 1963 Ford Thunderbird Landau in Castaic, CA  -  $7,500  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/256968845952397/1963-Ford-Thunderbird

Seller's Description:

1963 Ford Thunderbird Landau

• Driven 68,000 miles
  • Exterior color: Blue · Interior color: Blue
  • Clean title
  • This vehicle has no significant damage or problems

Clean 1963 Bird, excellent running condition, no oil leak.

image.thumb.png.018d7307ffac9180d9b4c947a0ac1cf7.png

image.thumb.png.622db51a6f9f5ed9f7863a77d1503cb3.png

image.thumb.png.1c06b942147587d7ffdfcce21f505cbb.png

image.thumb.png.026ef2ba50e9c45aaf6201c7b95ccdda.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Aaron65 said:

I'd like to see more pictures and more info, but if that's a legitimate ad, that's the deal of the week.  

I agree with all of that. Pictures of cars in this condition ("presentable") often look better than in-person views, but even if this car is 80% of what the pictures indicate...it's an awesome deal...and it illustrates the folly of the refurbishment I'm doing on my '65. I have that kind of money in my car at this point, and it still needs to be painted and put back together.  These cars are way too affordable to not buy a nice one up front.

• Like 1

This appears to be what is called in California a "Black Plate" car. License plate of this color was issued in California ending around 1970. After 1970 Blue and Gold plates were issued. So car has been in California continuously from 1970 and Castaic is a very dry area. Beautiful car. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JamesR said:

I agree with all of that. Pictures of cars in this condition ("presentable") often look better than in-person views, but even if this car is 80% of what the pictures indicate...it's an awesome deal...and it illustrates the folly of the refurbishment I'm doing on my '65. I have that kind of money in my car at this point, and it still needs to be painted and put back together.  These cars are way too affordable to not buy a nice one up front.

I think we've talked about this before, James...I'm in the same boat.  A low upfront price is often too good to pass up.  Oh well.  :)

As you said, however, pictures can lie pretty well, or at least they can obscure the truth.  

Edited by Aaron65 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

From what I've seen, 1961-1963 Thunderbird 

convertibles are significantly more common today

than are the 2-doors.  That continues my observation

that the more glamorous models and desirable

body styles get preserved, while the others

have disappeared.

For example, I suspect that few collectors have

done much restoration on a 4-door Thunderbird,

from the years when such were made.

"The rare have become common, and the common rare."

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Bullet birds have few fans willing to open their wallets.  I've had 2.  a Conv't and a coupe,  Both were hard sells and sold for less than I thought they would have.  Always seem to be some for sale,  and the onloy ones that sell are the cheap ones.   I've always thought they were good value for what you were getting. 

• Like 3

They are unit-body.  Alot of really good examples exist so you don't even need to restore one to get a nice one.  They just have a very small following.  I still like them but wouldn't pay much for one because when it comes to sell it as I do eventually with almost all my cars you won't get much for it when compared to other cars and the buyers just aren't there so prepare for a slow sale. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1963 Ford Thunderbird Landau - "Clean Bird" - Castaic, CA - Not Mine - 3/20 SOLD!

I knew it would sell. Congrats to both buyer and seller.

My theory is that 3rd and 4th generation T-birds will go up considerably in value at some point in time. I think most cars in the "personal luxury" category were/are undervalued. Toronados from the '60's are still a pretty good value, as are Eldorados. Several years ago, it seemed like '60's Rivieras were also undervalued for cars that cool, but lately I haven't seen any nice affordable specimens. At least on the net.

8 hours ago, JamesR said:

I knew it would sell. Congrats to both buyer and seller.

My theory is that 3rd and 4th generation T-birds will go up considerably in value at some point in time. I think most cars in the "personal luxury" category were/are undervalued. Toronados from the '60's are still a pretty good value, as are Eldorados. Several years ago, it seemed like '60's Rivieras were also undervalued for cars that cool, but lately I haven't seen any nice affordable specimens. At least on the net.

Tell me about it.  Right now, I'm struggling between buying a '66 Toronado or a first-gen Riviera.  The Riv's always been one of my favorite cars, but asking prices have been pretty high lately.  On the other hand, a lot of the cars I've seen for sale have been listed for quite some time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aaron65 said:

On the other hand, a lot of the cars I've seen for sale have been listed for quite some time.

Yes, it's hard to tell what actual valuations are from ads when asking prices can be so high. Either one of those cars would be awesome to own - both have iconic styling.