1929 Model A spark only on #1

Hello everyone, 

My Dad has been restoring a 1929 Model A for the last few years. When we pulled it into the garage it was running nicely. Now years later I cannot get it to start. I took the carburetor apart and cleaned throughly. Cleaned fuel lines. The problem seems to be no spark on cylinders 2-4. #1 I have visual confirmation of spark via spark plug out of the hole. The other cylinders I can feel some voltage going through but it's not much. #1 cylinder will make you dance when it hits. I have cleaned the contacts on the distributor cap as well as the rotor. Here is a picture of the distributor. 

Thanks in advance for the help. I can't wait to hear this thing run again!

20210227_232352.jpg

I know nothing about Model A Ford, but distributor ignition is very strait forward.  Check points as mentioned above. Check to make SURE the points are properly opening on EVERY high cam lobe. I have seen cams wear unevenly causing strange issues. Next the cap, rotor and wires. Pay close attention to the wires. With good spark on #1, try swapping the #1 wire to the #2-4 location and test.  I think you will find your problem with a little investigation and luck!!  GOOD LUCK 🤔!!!!!!!

59 minutes ago, 37_Roadmaster_C said:

Pay close attention to the wires. With good spark on #1, try swapping the #1 wire to the #2-4 location and test.

Being a Model A probably not a spark plug wire issue. A's have metal(brass? copper?) strips between the metal posts on the top of the distributor direct to the spark plug terminals. But you just never know.🤔

• Thanks 1

If you are using a reproduction cap, make sure that it fits the dist. body tightly and that all the contacts are the same distance from the rotor. Some of the new caps are so poorly made that they move and are not concentric which can give you fits. Also, sometimes when using some of the replacement upper plates, the contacts can short out diminishing spark. Also, did you take out all of the rotor backlash after timing? You may also have a loose contact in the dist. These are just guesses though!