1941 Chrysler Highlander 4dr,some NOS sheetmetal and trim,mostly needs paint

This one is out of a local estate,located about three miles East of Cheyenne. It was purchased by them 2006,not running well. The head gasket was bad,head was shaved a bit,new gasket,running good around the neighborhood. The fellow became ill and passed away,it has been sitting in a garage for a few years now. The front nose piece and right rear fender are NOS and in the trunk are NOS grill pieces. Interior is the Highlander style and very nice except for a tear in the drivers seat. And the owner,the son, says he has new material to fix it. The dash and door arm rests all have that gorgeous red and white marbeling. It's a beautiful interior. The left rear fender has a couple scrapes,otherwise the body looks very good. I didn't see any rustout,although the left side is pretty close to the wall and not totally visable. With some gas line and brake work,a paint job,this one should be a big,comfortable tour car. I believe the owner said the basic model was a New Yorker. Has a good title. He is looking for $4900 for it. I'm not looking at a commission but may get a break on an old Diamond T truck he has that I want if this one sells. Please PM me if interested.

IMG_8393.JPG

IMG_8394.JPG

IMG_8396.JPG

IMG_8397.JPG

IMG_8398.JPG

IMG_8399.JPG

IMG_8401.JPG

IMG_8395.JPG

Holy cow, someone should jump on this immediately!  I know the exterior is rough with much work to do, but it is extremely rare to find a '41 with the dash plastic in perfect shape like that.  The large piece with the "Chrysler" script that goes above the radio grill is inevitably either cracked or melted by the sun, or both.  The wool plaid material to do the interior is readily available.  This car could be magnificent (yes, I know, with a major infusion of $$$), but these MoPars are wonderful cars and I find this very tempting at the asking price.

(The New Yorker was not the "basic model."  The New Yorker was the top-of-the-line eight.  I'm pretty sure this is a Windsor, which had the six.  I can't tell for sure from the pics.  The original poster might want to clarify what model this is.)

7 hours ago, neil morse said:

Holy cow, someone should jump on this immediately!  I know the exterior is rough with much work to do, but it is extremely rare to find a '41 with the dash plastic in perfect shape like that.  The large piece with the "Chrysler" script that goes above the radio grill is inevitably either cracked or melted by the sun, or both.  The wool plaid material to do the interior is readily available.  This car could be magnificent (yes, I know, with a major infusion of $$$), but these MoPars are wonderful cars and I find this very tempting at the asking price.

(The New Yorker was not the "basic model."  The New Yorker was the top-of-the-line eight.  I'm pretty sure this is a Windsor, which had the six.  I can't tell for sure from the pics.  The original poster might want to clarify what model this is.)

I have in mind this one has the 8,but now that you mention it,I guess I'll have to look again. I'll be out there this week and make a plug count.

54 minutes ago, sagefinds said:

I have in mind this one has the 8,but now that you mention it,I guess I'll have to look again. I'll be out there this week and make a plug count.

Confirming the model would help you a lot with the sale -- it makes a big difference to the buyer.  Looking at the engine photo again, I'm now thinking it looks like an eight.  Please let us know.  (There were actually two different trim levels in the six -- the Royal and the Windsor -- and two different trim levels in the eight -- the Saratoga and the New Yorker.)

The Standard Catalog of American Cars 1805-1942, edited by Kimes and Clark, list the production for all three of the eight cylinder 1941 Chrysler models, Saratoga, New Yorker and New Yorker Highlander four door sedans as 15,868.  Unfortunately, no breakout of the Highlanders is listed.  Regardless, if one is interested in restoring a '40's Chrysler New Yorker, the Highlander model should be one's first choice. 

2 hours ago, sagefinds said:

I don't see anything wrong with that piece the Chrysler script is on there on the dash.

Yes, that's my point!  There is nothing wrong with it on this car, but on most '41 Chryslers the dash plastic is in bad shape.  Sorry if I wasn't clear on what I was trying to say.  Thanks for confirming that this car is an eight.  Good luck with the sale.

Great project, did you see the front bumper?  I'm in Canada and think shipping might be an issue, tempted to check though. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

I'm frankly surprised that you have been unable to move this car at the asking price.  Have you tried listing it on Chrysler forums or in the WPC Club magazine?  Again, the state of that interior is remarkable!  Good luck.