Window Regulator Grease

Akstraw

I am about to re-assemble the regulator mechanisms on hand-crank door windows.  Does anyone know what type of grease the OEMs use on regulator mechanisms inside the doors?  It seems like a waxier type of grease than general purpose undercarriage grease.

If there are any plastic parts in the window regulator or slides, I use silicone grease. Petroleum products can cause plastics to deteriorate over time. In any case, the OEM greases seemed to harden over time, which makes the regulators more difficult to use.

I too use white lithium grease. I have had to remove the hard/sticky OEM white lube on cars that are not even 25 years old YET! I do not know how long the white lithium I apply will be soft in the window mechanism, time will tell. 

On 2/27/2021 at 10:00 PM, Frank DuVal said:

I have had to remove the hard/sticky OEM white lube on cars that are not even 25 years old YET!

This has always fascinated me about old car repair and restoration.

Would anyone ever expect their engine oil to last 25 years?

Would anyone think that a chassis lube was still OK after 25+ years?

But too many folks (not necessarily you Frank) somehow think that the lube applied to the inside door mechanism should still retain some lubrication property after many decades. 

"I just got a 19XX and the windows are stuck, what could be the problem?" 

ALL petroleum lubricants  will lose their lighter (aromatic) compounds and become more and more useless over time. Just like changing engine oil you have to open up the doors and clean and re-grease everything periodically. A pain to do but you gotta do it. 

Yes, I too use lithium grease. :-)

Don't use white lithium. It goes bad too quickly, and is awful to clean up when it does. The world is full of long-life synthetic grease now. Pick one that doesn't stink too much.

Yes it does get old and loose the lighter compounds.  I was agreeing that OEM lubes get stiff and need to be replaced, long before the vehicle is AACA material. 👍

Steering gear boxes also need to have the lube checked every 25 years.😲 OK, sooner.... I take too  many apart that have rusted inside because the grease channeled away from the nut/worm.

And I agree lubrication has improved over the years. Now to use up that tub of white lithium...😆

• Like 1