For Sale: 1968 Pontiac Catalina 4dr hardtop - $6,800 - Clarksburg, MD - Not Mine

For Sale: 1968 Pontiac Catalina 4dr hardtop - $6,800 - Clarksburg, MD 

1968 Pontiac Catalina - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

1968 Pontiac Catalina 4 door hardtop.  This cruiser is 18 feet long, 7 feet wide, and a hefty 4,250 pounds but is no slouch with its massive 400 cubic inch Pontiac V8 under the hood. This version of the 1968 Pontiac Catalina is the rare 4 door hard top which means it has 4 doors like the sedan model but is has the pillar less windows so you can roll all four down to make two big windows for maximum air flowing through the cab. This car is all original and prior to me was a one family car. It has rare turquoise and white color combo from the factory with a turquoise interior to match. She is definitely a head-turner and I hate to see her go. Up until a couple months I was using it as my daily driver but now there’s a small leak in the fuel tank so it’s just been sitting for a little while, car is still totally drivable just the fuel tank needs to be addressed. I have the original window sticker, booklet, and owners manual. The car is all original. Text me if you have any questions, I’m open to offers.

Copy and paste in your email:  aebf1f2553df330ca3a2dc4eb9a0db52@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1968 Pontiac Catalina 4dr hardtop.

'68 Pontiac Catalina VA a.jpg

'68 Pontiac Catalina VA b.jpg

'68 Pontiac Catalina VA c.jpg

'68 Pontiac Catalina VA d.jpg

'68 Pontiac Catalina VA e.jpg

'68 Pontiac Catalina VA f.jpg

'68 Pontiac Catalina VA g.jpg

'68 Pontiac Catalina VA h.jpg

• Like 1

This 1968 Catalina has been advertised for sale for quite a while now (several months anyway) and I have been watching it with only casual interest since it really isn't that close to me. The leaky gas tank problem has just been recently noted in the ad. I haven't researched that hard but I can't seem to find a source for a replacement 1968 full size tank if that becomes necessary. It looks like a decent car but I see the antenna's broken off, the LF parking lamp appears to be broken and the RF lamp is missing altogether leading me to believe the seller really wasn't driving it as much as he claims. He says it's a rare car but with a production figure of 41,727 that's just not true. Also claims the color is rare but I remember plenty of turquoise mid-late 60s Pontiacs on the road back in the day. There are no pics of the lower sections of the car and these Ponchos are almost always rusted out in the doglegs & behind the rear wheels. I can see some dents & dings too along with faded hood & trunk paint and I get the feeling this car appears much better looking in the pictures than it actually is. 

7 hours ago, The 55er said:

...He says it's a rare car but with a production figure of 41,727 that's just not true....

Good, thorough observations, Mr. 55er.

I've noticed, though, that cars that once were common

and routine may be very hard to find today.  People tend

to cherish the specialty models, the convertibles, and

overlook the rest.  So today, once-rare cars like 1953 Buick

Skylarks and 1956-57 Lincoln Mark II's are very easy to find:

There may be a dozen for sale at any time.

Not many people may be looking for 4-door hardtops, but

I'd say, "The rare have become common, and the common rare."

Indeed that's true, John_S!

"The rare have become common, and the common rare."

I found the description the seller Logan included was suggestive that he is young and the idea of a B-pillarless four door hardtop novel and special when considering purchase of his Pontiac:

"This version of the 1968 Pontiac Catalina is the rare 4 door hard top which means it has 4 doors like the sedan model but is has the pillar less windows so you can roll all four down to make two big windows for maximum air flowing through the cab. "

Now that we're forty years plus after the last 1978 Chrysler four door hardtops were built and the majority of cars of that body style have been processed through attrition, for someone young enough to rarely encounter heretofore this body style might perceive them to be special and especially desirable.  Such is the different perspective of a later generation.   As far as this Pontiac, it might make a good daily driver if it checks out to generally be in good condition and a more realistic price can be negotiated.

• Like 1

Good point 58L. I the rust is at a minimum and it checks out mechanically, the price is not too bad. If you are looking for a 2-door Catalina then $6800 will not get you very much of a car. Throw a blanket over the front seat and fix those turn signals and enjoy a nice driving car. This reminds me of 10 years ago when a guy on a budget stopped looking at tri five chevy 2-doors and started looking at the 4-doors that would fit in his budget. 

• 1 year later...

is this still a live listing?

i am interested.

i also don't pay much attention to my e-mails, unless i expect one in return. [EDIT: meaning i'll check in for a couple, and forget about it for several.]

i have a phone, but only just joined this site because of this listing and do not know how this works.

i am in TX... logistics.

ain't rich, but interested.

this was i car i owned as a dumb new driving teenager. rear ended a friends pickup to a party at the lake. too dumb at the time to fix, with no money. so i have a debt to pay to keep the breed alive. 

i am not a mechanic, but am mechanical and know mechanics. this was a joy to drive. my favorite car. i am 50 BTW.

Edited by Clever Monkey (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Clever Monkey said:

is this still a live listing?

i am interested.

i also don't pay much attention to my e-mails, unless i expect one in return. [EDIT: meaning i'll check in for a couple, and forget about it for several.]

i have a phone, but only just joined this site because of this listing and do not know how this works.

i am in TX... logistics.

ain't rich, but interested.

this was i car i owned as a dumb new driving teenager. rear ended a friends pickup to a party at the lake. too dumb at the time to fix, with no money. so i have a debt to pay to keep the breed alive. 

i am not a mechanic, but am mechanical and know mechanics. this was a joy to drive. my favorite car. i am 50 BTW.

Clever Monkey:

The For Sale - Not Mine forum are cars offered on on-line advertisement postings that we have reposted to bring them to the attention of other potential owners.   Since the Craigslist posting are time limited and expire, you will have to contact the seller directly at: Contact:  Logan call or text:  (240) six-9-4-5-4-zero-7 to ask if the Pontiac is still available.  Good luck with your search.

Steve