Fisher Body

Erndog

Has anyone, including librarians, museum curators, hobbyists, etc., ever come across original factory pre-war engineering drawings? Specifically, wood structural drawings, but any? I do not mean like the common book everyone uses with the poorly reproduced photos. I mean draftsman drawings with measurements and notes. They obviously had them to design the bodies for GM, etc., but where did they end up? Did they donate them to the war effort for pulp, or are they in an archive somewhere, or...?? I know that Midman aquired a plethora or 1931 Buick engineering drawings, but they were mostly mechanical. Still one heck of a find.

Hope someone has an answer.

I doubt they exist, but will be watching this thread.

I had/have to reverse engineer the wood in a couple FIsher doors because the wood was too far gone. Information is REAL thin. It seems no one ever had that many patterns, and many of the homemade ones that did exist are lost.

Please keep us posted.

Try the University of Michigan, they have a very extensive automotive archive (or did). Also the Detroit public Library.

We Americans are real bad about preserving historical documents. UK has all of James Watt, Isambard Brunel and others' notes and drawings preserved.

Ron

Also, try the Detroit Historical Society. Best to call these places.

There was another body builder called Briggs too if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by Locomobile (see edit history)
  • Like 3