Jump to content

Recommended Posts

A couple weeks ago, I was rummaging around some old computer files, looking for a specific photo I wanted for a thread on another forum. I had had a partial meltdown of my computer a few years ago that lost a couple thousand links and scrambled a few hundred photos. And I was looking for something that I 'knew' was there, and eventually I did find. While looking, I stumbled onto this photo of an underslung roadster. My first thought was, "I know where I need to post this!" That was the day I discovered the 'Underslung' thread here was gone.

I decided to let the dust settle for a bit, and hoped another Underslung photo thread would get going. Since a dedicated photo thread has not yet gotten going here, I decided to post this one and hope that others might follow.

 

The car shown is not in very good condition. It appears the rear fenders are missing, and it is somewhat beat up. I am not certain of the marque, although it does look like it could be an American smaller model.

I am fairly certain it is not a Regal Underslung. I almost bought a Regal Underslung basket case almost fifty years ago. I was just out of high school, and short on money. I had figured a way to scrape up enough and went to the fellow's home to tell him I could do it when he told me it had sold the night before! I do hope the car did get restored. It was pretty rough.

 

And, hopefully, a few other people will start reposting photos here.

interestingunderslung.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, modela28 said:

Wayne,

 

This photo is definitely of an American.  A separate site has been created for all things AU.

 

Thank you for that. I had checked it out several days ago. I don't get along very well with computer stuff these days. I couldn't find how to contribute photos to be added there, although I did see something about contacting them.

I very much sympathize with stanleyregister's frustrations losing all he had contributed to the lost thread here. However, I would like to see more than one place on the 'net' for such things to be posted and shared. I think it best that items be posted and/or copied to both places. That increases the likelihood that information and photos will survive.

I would be pleased to have this photo added over there. I wish I could give proper credit to its source. But I don't remember where I found it.

 

alsancle, Thank you. I love that D Cameron Peck photo!

Edited by wayne sheldon
Additional thought. (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bonhams : The F.C. Deemer, Honeymoon Roadster, ex-Dick Teague and W.K.  Haines1907 American Underslung 50hp Roadster Engine no. 1402

This is reportedly FC Deemer with his honeymoon car, the red roadster existing today. If so, this is one of the four cars that was restored by Walter Seeley. Walter Seeley had restored two brass era Ford model Ts before tackling the four American Underslung cars. It would be interesting to learn how well the restoration of the Ts had prepared him for the restoration of these magnificent and fabulous cars. From a picture posted on the now defunct thread, three of the cars looked to be in good unrestored condition but the fourth, the honeymoon car, was burned in a fire. Walter did have some professional help with that one but it would have been a challenging restoration for anyone. The good news is these cars increased in value enough to make the restoration well worth the effort. The bad news is these cars have increased in value so much, driving them is not practical.

 

Correction: This car appears to be a 1908. It is not, therefore, the 1907 FC Deemer honeymoon car. It turns out, Walter Seeley had restored more than two cars before tackling the four American Underslungs. My dad used to say, "A piece of paper will lay still and let anyone write on it," meaning you can't trust information as true, just because it is written down. This is a lesson I never quite learned. Obviously.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you AHa, I am hoping we can get several people to repost pictures and get this thread back to something well worth looking at from time to time. The American Underslung is a special bit of automotive history, well worthy of being celebrated and remembered. Many years ago, several of the cars were owned and maintained by collectors that drove them on tours often. I have read some of the tour reports in my earlier issues of the magazines. In my fifty years in this hobby, I have only seen AUs in museums. I have never seen one on a tour or heard their engine run. It would be nice if we could change that and a lot of us with interest in earlier cars could see a few of these incredible cars on the road. 

Again, I am supportive of stanleyregister's efforts for a distinctive website for the American Underslung, and I intend to look in there myself also. I just like to have multiple sites for our hobby cars. The AACA forum is certainly one of the best antique automobile sites on the web. It shouldn't hurt anyone to have AU stuff here as well as there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

And this is Dolly Dimples' husband behind the wheel of the car. Obviously the cars were not driven fast, those hats would not last long, but beyond that, there is no windscreen on the car. After all, if you had one of these cars, the object was to be seen. To put the driver behind a windshield and under a top defeats the purpose!

315317.jpg

Edited by AHa (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2021 at 10:44 AM, AHa said:

Bonhams : The F.C. Deemer, Honeymoon Roadster, ex-Dick Teague and W.K.  Haines1907 American Underslung 50hp Roadster Engine no. 1402

This is reportedly FC Deemer with his honeymoon car, the red roadster existing today. If so, this is one of the four cars that was restored by Walter Seeley. Walter Seeley had restored two brass era Ford model Ts before tackling the four American Underslung cars. It would be interesting to learn how well the restoration of the Ts had prepared him for the restoration of these magnificent and fabulous cars. From a picture posted on the now defunct thread, three of the cars looked to be in good unrestored condition but the fourth, the honeymoon car, was burned in a fire. Walter did have some professional help with that one but it would have been a challenging restoration for anyone. The good news is these cars increased in value enough to make the restoration well worth the effort. The bad news is these cars have increased in value so much, driving them is impracticable.

In the article Seeley wrote about the restoration of the 4 Americans (AACA magazine Sept-Oct 1980) , he said that he had restored 5 brass era cars prior to the Americans:  a Maxwell, 2 Model Ts, a Pratt-Thirty and a Studebaker.  Two of the Americans, the 1908 Roadster and 1910 Traveler, looked to be in decent condition prior to restoration.  However, he said the 1910 Traveler was the most difficult to restore because of the time (17 years) that had passed to complete all 4 cars.  The green 1908 Roadster, shown in the picture above, was used as a pattern car to restore the red 1907 which was the honeymoon car damaged in a fire.  The 1909 Traveler had been converted to a truck and was in rough shape based on the pictures in the article.

Edited by modela28 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, StanleyRegister said:

All these period photos and more are now available on the American Underslung Repository, at

American Underslung Repository (stanleyregister.net)

 

 


There is an existing car not on your list..........When I go north in the next two months, I’ll try and get a photo of it. Apparently it’s camera shy.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you StanleyRegister! A very nice repository indeed. I enjoyed looking at the photos, and reading some of the information about the various models. I appreciate the time you have spent to provide this to benefit hobbyists all over.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2021 at 9:12 PM, StanleyRegister said:

All these period photos and more are now available on the American Underslung Repository, at

American Underslung Repository (stanleyregister.net)

 

You can quickly review period photos for every year and model, as well as get an overview of specifications, at

AU Year and Model (stanleyregister.net)

 

Thank you for everything you’ve done to exhibit and document the Underslung Cars! I truly appreciate your efforts! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2021 at 10:12 PM, edinmass said:


There is an existing car not on your list..........When I go north in the next two months, I’ll try and get a photo of it. Apparently it’s camera shy.

I don’t know how you find these things but please share pics!!!!! 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BobinVirginia said:

I don’t know how you find these things but please share pics!!!!! 
 


 

If I can I will......problem is many people are off the radar. The garage is one I have never taken photos inside. Asking can be considered impolite. Today I went to a FANTASTIC collection.........and there was a sign posted......Don’t even ask. It was referring to photos. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@StanleyRegister

 

I would like to apologize again for the loss of your content on the previous Underslung thread. It was my fault it got deleted. I started it just wanting to know where I could see an Underslung  in person. It gained a life of it’s own after that. Your contributions were very much appreciated! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, edinmass said:


 

If I can I will......problem is many people are off the radar. The garage is one I have never taken photos inside. Asking can be considered impolite. Today I went to a FANTASTIC collection.........and there was a sign posted......Don’t even ask. It was referring to photos. 

I understand 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Attached, please find a photo file of a 1910 Traveler.  I found on the web some time ago.  Beautiful details on a beautiful vehicle.   Please add to your Registry       Thanks  Bob

american.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bob McAnlis said:

Attached, please find a photo file of a 1910 Traveler.  I found on the web some time ago.  Beautiful details on a beautiful vehicle.   Please add to your Registry       Thanks  Bob

 

Beautiful photo of a 1911 Traveler.  There was one on the site that was taken at the same time, but from a slightly different angle.  I have added this one - thanks, Bob.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you AHa and StanleyRegister. I saw this one in the 'period' thread and looked to see if it had been posted here as well. I wish I had others to add here, but I do not.

SR, Over two hundred now! Wonderful! Time for me to look in again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...