Need garage space - northeast Philadelphia

Michael C Wauhop

I live in the northeast Philadelphia area and am looking for a  garage to store one of my antique cars.  I am interested in the northeast area or Bensalem. I have 3 cars but I only need space for one. The 3 cars are all insured and driveable the biggest one is a 1955 Packard 400 the smallest one is a 1965 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible I also have a 1940 Packard. Don't even refer me to craigslist  because after communication with some of the incompetents who posted garage available only to find out they were still occupied or the owner was out of town and we could not meet I am ready to pull my hair out. I am a retired police officer on disability so the price must be reasonable.

1965 Olds Cutlass convertible.jpg

1955 Packard.jpg

FB_IMG_1568568021980.jpg

11 hours ago, Ben P. said:

Yup....

I took out a Craigslist ad for work I needed done just one time. Got 40+ emails from people saying they’d do it. Felt like a hamster running the wheel answering them all with my ph# - only 1 person actually called. Never showed to do the job.

Never again.

That’s Craigslist.

I used craigslist a few years ago. Before my first posting I created a separate GMail account to use there. (I still use this email account when companies require an email address which I know will get sold generating LOTS of spam emails.) Posted a few items I wanted to get rid of and only used that email address as a form of communication. After a serious buyer contacted me we emailed back and forth a few times then I met the buyer in s public place to make the sale. One item was too large so the buyer came to my house. Turned out to be a very nice guy who was very happy with the items he got. Did have a bunch of deadbeat buyers for some other items which is why I never gave out my phone number or home address. This was more than a few years ago and it seems that craigslist has gotten much worse since then.

Well I have replaced a lot of crappy Walmart furniture with antique furniture I bought from craigslist and its been a mostly good experience. I bought some beautiful needlepoint armchairs (4) for my living room for only $150! However this experience looking for garage space OMG! I have never dealt with such incompetent's or shady individuals in my life and as a former law enforcement officer I try to steer clear of such people.

Ive been just answering ads from people looking to rent. I have also asked friends of mine for help. I was referred to a place called Pine Valley storage by a friend and a I called Monday and they had 5 spaces 10x20 I waited for my pension deposit to post to my bank account the cost was reasonable they had security the day my deposit posted I went right over there to get one of the 5 spaces well guess what they said we are so sorry all 5 were rented yesterday! The owner of the facility who struck me as a decent man said yeah we NEVER rented 5 car sized spaces in one day before.

Michael, here are some car storage recommendations

from experience.  I don't live in your part of the state,

but these ideas may help:

---Mini-storage units (in my area at least) are not

at all competitive in price with private garages.

A private garage may be less than half the cost.

---Consider asking elderly neighbors whether they

have a space.  A widow, for example, might be using

only one space in a 2-car garage.  A friend found

just such a situation, very economical.

---Consider rural out-buildings, which may have

some unused space.  I found just such a situation

while driving through the countryside and simply

stopping to ask.  Now, a formerly vacant horse 

facility houses more than 20 of our club members'

antique cars in a well-built, clean and dry building.

---If you're a member of a local AACA region or

other car club, put a want-ad in the newsletter,

asking for storage or references.  Club members

may know of places very suitable and convenient

that aren't advertised.

All the best to you in your search!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Need garage space - northeast Philadelphia
53 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

---Consider asking elderly neighbors whether they

have a space.  A widow, for example, might be using

only one space in a 2-car garage.  A friend found

just such a situation, very economical.

This is the right path.  The following worked for me a number of years ago:  ()Oops--I'm seeing that @Mikefitjust beat me by a minute) Post 3x5 (or 4x6) cards on the bulletin boards of local churches and senior centers with language including the following:  "Local car collector seeks garage storage to rent for infrequently used collector car (no daily in-and-out).  Fully insured, no work on car in your garage, not storing flammables."

These days, post same this on NextDoor neighborhood website as well.

• Like 3