1963 Buick Dynaflow leak help/advise needed please

TerryH

Hey guys I have my 1963 Lesabre it started leaking tranny fluid out the bellhousing. It was fine I hadn't driven it in a few weeks then all of a sudden it was leaking quite bad out the bellhousing. I got a quote for a rebuild around me in Ontario and they want $3000.00 to rebuild it and like $2000.00 to install external seal kit. To me both prices sound hi! any advise would be great. Tranny has 90xxx miles on it. 

Thank you

Terry

Edited by TerryH (see edit history)

• TerryH changed the title to 1963 Buick Dynaflow leak help/advise needed please

Are you sure its internal leaking?  Have you dropped the inspection pan to see if it's coming from inside or maybe the coolant line has developed a leak externally and it is hitting the trans case?  

It may have 90K on it, but how does it drive?  Have you noticed suddenly reduced gas mileage?  Are there other performance problems, keeping in mind that even a quart or two low will result in loss of performance? 

Was that quote made with a visual inspection by the company? Or was it an over the phone ball park quote?

My '63 Riv Dynaflow leaks as well after sitting for more than three weeks, and my mechanic said it's from several points. It has done that  after three years by a top shop that did a complete rebuild. The bright side is that it's more of a drip than a shower, so economics would dictate that topping it off with a quarter pint every so often may be more economical than your quoted $5k for a rebuild, which probably is under warranty for less than 36 months anyway. He said no need to change the fluid - you're doing that already! BTW, also have a '67 Jag, and that club says, if it's not leaking anymore, it's probably out of oil! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hey guys that is a bench build cost not including removal/install. His price is $2000.00 to rip it down inspect it and that includes the reseal. any parts cost added on top of that. Now I am in Ontario so that is Canadian $2000.00 +$1500USD ish. I think I am going to go with this shop just because He truly knows his stuff. They pretty well only work on stuff 70's and older and I talked to a few of the top resto shops and they all recommend him. When I talked to them they explained there process and even welcomed me to come have a look as they tare it down and they would show me exactly what it was going to need parts wise. And if my schedule would allow it I would take up that offer mainly just to check out the wonder that is the Dynaflow torque converter! Yes it is alot of money but after talking to the guy and seeing some if his work via his website and Facebook page I am very confident they will do great work.  I will leave his website just incase anyone wants to look at it. As always thank you everyone for your advise and info.

https://www.lawrencetransmission.ca/

https://www.facebook.com/Lawrence-Transmission-Services-Ltd-129140677147850

• Like 1