Randy Rundle

mdh7475

I just read in Old Cars magazine that Randy Rundle, owner of Fifth Avenue Antique Auto Parts in Clay City Ks had passed away earlier this month.   

I never met Randy, but having called him several times on the phone in the last couple years, he always took the time to thoroughly answer any questions I had.  I found his series of books very informative and a big help for any antique car restorer.

I am sure many others feel the same - he will be sorely missed....  

Thanks for the notice. I talked to Randy a couple of years ago when trying to sort out issues with the R10 in my Ranch Wagon. I found him to be a man of few words, but the book he'd written was a huge help to those of us unfamiliar with overdrives. I keep it with the shop manual in my car. Many condolences to his family and loved ones. And as mdh7475 said, he will be greatly missed by the old car community. I don't know if Fifth Ave. Auto Parts is continuing to function or not, but I know you can get his overdrive book through Speedway (at least that was the case when I got mine.)

I found thison the Early Ford V8 Club Forums

He passed away on February 1st. He was 62. So sad.

In December of 1987, Randy started Fifth Avenue Antique Auto Parts to market the new 6-volt alternator. He designed a sales brochure, began sending out new product press releases, and started placing ads in automotive and farm magazines. During this time, Fifth Avenue Antique Auto Parts also introduced a 12-volt alternator that would be able to recharge the battery at idle, speeds as low as 400 rpms. This was in contrast to modern alternators, which provide little or no output below 1200 engine rpms. The new 6-volt alternator allowed all of the original 6-volt electrical system to remain in place, while providing a 60% greater output. In addition, the new 6-volt alternator would be able to recharge the battery at idle and low engine rpms, just like a modern day 12-volt charging system. That would put an end to the trademark hard starting dead batteries and dim headlights associated with the 6-volt electrical systems.

• Thanks 1

Well, that is sad. Randy and I were both in the Studebaker Drivers Club and we spoke many times on the phone or via email. His publications are terrific, and his knowledge was astounding. We got together once at a Starbird show in Wichita and talked for hours. What a great guy!