Flat Surface Syndrome

60FlatTop

I had a small workbench in my cellar and since the weather keeps me inside I thought I would put dollies with casters on it to make it mobile. I had to clean it off and flip it over to attach the dollies. And it came out pretty nice.

010.thumb.jpg.4aa7d5e1a05b21554d2a052bbcc83af8.jpg

A couple of days later.

009.thumb.JPG.b79554e4a664ecb46dde85297c71feb6.JPG

How can stuff like this take your breath away, yet flow so naturally into the voids?

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Possibly IF those rollers hadn't become stationary, "things" would not have accumulated quite so quickly?  As large, flatter stationary objects in a "car shop" tend to accumlate items for later use, by observation, even if they've been there for an extended time.

Nice stationary cart!

NTX5467

15 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I had a small workbench in my cellar and since the weather keeps me inside I thought I would put dollies with casters on it to make it mobile. I had to clean it off and flip it over to attach the dollies. And it came out pretty nice.

010.thumb.jpg.4aa7d5e1a05b21554d2a052bbcc83af8.jpg

A couple of days later.

009.thumb.JPG.b79554e4a664ecb46dde85297c71feb6.JPG

How can stuff like this take your breath away, yet flow so naturally into the voids?

Nature abhors a vacuum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Along Machine Gun's thinking, it's the Law of Physics:

Any flat surface shall not remain clear.

IMG_8411.thumb.JPG.ceb017080e35b7a831c1850e6fea7aac.JPG

I managed to get my rolling work bench down to this recently.

IMG_8468.thumb.JPG.48b0965ecdcb7d870fe858ffd378b608.JPG

But to keep it clear I'm giving it to a friend - without the stuff of course.

• Like 4

On 2/28/2021 at 11:26 AM, Matt Harwood said:

So glad I'm not the only one. 

I am firmly of the belief that anyone with a clean, orderly workshop doesn't actually get any work done.

I disagree. You can eat off my shop counters, and I wear sox in the shop when I feel like it. Yup.....it’s hospital clean. I I also manage to get stuff done.......🤔

AJ can comment on the tidiness of my work space.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I disagree. You can eat off my shop counters, and I wear Sox in the shop when I feel like it. Yup.....it’s hospital clean. I I also manage to gat stuff done.......🤔

Weirdo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Weirdo. 

Yes......and you point is? Know any car guy who is normal?

My given name is Edgar. Most of my friends call me Eddie. Several call me “Special Ed”, like the people who ride around in the small school buses and wear helmets. 😝

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Yes......and you point is? Know any car guy who is normal?

My given name is Edgar. Most of my friends call me Eddie. Several call me “Special Ed”, like the people who ride around in the small school buses and wear helmets. 😝

Yaaaaaayyyy!

hqdefault.jpg

Shop clutter can really be unprocessed projects or "projects in waiting".  Just make sure there is enough room for fire fighters in full "combat gear" to be able to walk through without hitting anything, for good measure.  These "wide trails" can also allow any visitors to find their way in or out easier.  IF the floor space becomes more like a field warehouse, then get some shelves.  Increase the number of shelf units as needed.  When more floor space is needed, THEN might consider some "thinning of the herd".  NOTE:  for "private-use shops" only.  The more commercial-oriented the situation might become, the cleaner and less cluttered things must be.

Just some observations,

NTX5467

6 hours ago, edinmass said:

I disagree. You can eat off my shop counters, and I wear Sox in the shop when I feel like it. Yup.....it’s hospital clean. I I also manage to gat stuff done.......🤔

I have friend like that.  He gets a rash or hives  when he comes to my shop.  But he does come over quite often to borrow tools or parts because he cannot find them in his shop.:o

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 6:58 AM, 60FlatTop said:

Sometimes there is just zero tolerance for distraction in the garage.

VIMG_3590.JPG

Packard Speedster-

1930 734?

or 1931 834?

Interesting - fender parking light on right fender, but not on left?

I'm impressed

• Like 1

On the Packard picture I posted, the likelihood of backing over the grease pit without the covers in place would be directly proportional to the age of the driver.

Sort of like finding a test pilot for a freshly built Pietenpol air plane, the 85 year old will do it.