62 people: How are you repairing your driveshaft CV joints?

The CV joint in my 62 driveshaft is toast....and apparently it's an obsolete part that no one makes parts for anymore.  Any alternatives to getting a new driveshaft made?

I looked at u-joints themselves for the center joint and they seem to go from '61-'68.  There was some sort of center bushing kit on rockauto that was more year-specific.  Or are what you're seeking what used to be called "centering kit" (which was between the two u-joints in the cast iron housing)?  Just curious . . .

NTX5467  

You might want to try Midwest Driveshafts here in my hood.  Joe is the owner.

Does a lot of exotic, antique, obsolete,  custom stuff.   He’s done all my driveshaft work for years.

competent staff, too.

Might be worth a call.

• Like 1

Years ago I had a reliable universal joint shop rebuild a Cadillac driveshaft with a kit. It didn't work out. After three or four trips back I went to Paul Lauracella's Parts of the Past and bought a good used driveshaft. That resolved it.

The service manual should say "This is not a serviceable part. Replace as a unit." In this case I believe them.

The rebuilt driveshaft leaned in a corner of my garage as a reminder not to do that again for close to 20 years.

If I was going to do it today I think I would find a really good used one and have a driveshaft shop cut the old CV assembly out and put the used one in. They could do that. If they gave me any push back I would say "Just humor me".

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

I talked to the driveshaft guy earlier.  He said the rebuild kits are not what he needs.  There is a piece that is eaten up pretty badly.  I contacted James at bestoffercounts and he thinks he has a complete one for me.  What a pain.