Please help me identify car in early 1920's family photo

Tom LaPorte

This photo shows my mom, grandma and great grandma in Fort William, Ontario (now Thunder Bay) posing in front of what is likely the family's first car as I have a picture from just a few years earlier in which my grandpa is driving a horse drawn cart.  Based on my mom's age the photo was likely taken about 1923.  I doubt it was new but they were certainly happy to have it.  The same car appears in family photos 10 years later.  Any help identifying it would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

Three generations Louisa Jackson Ethel Marion.jpg

• Like 2

It certainly is.  Thank you.  I googled 1920's Essex 2 door sedan to try to narrow down the year built but that model doesn't seem to have many changes in it between its introduction in 1919 and the late 20's.  The earlier models look like they were a little taller.  Again thanks very much!

Just for interest here are photos of the car taken in 1930 and 1933  and another from about 1923.  Cars seem to have lasted a lot longer then than they do now!  There aren't all that many photos in their album so it must have been a great source of family pride.

Alf family August 1933.jpg

Louise Cross and Harold June 1930 (3).jpg

Harold with car.jpg

• Like 3

Just for interest here are photos of the car taken in 1930 and 1933  and another from about 1923.  Cars seem to have lasted a lot longer then than they do now!  There aren't all that many photos in their album so it must have been a great source of family pride.

You're right.  There are a few other details I can see now but the 2 door sedan with suicide doors so far forward really fooled me.  The oldest photo being the Essex was about 1923 but the other 3 with the Hudson are all 1930ish.

Thanks for that!

The Essex in the first photo is one of the 1922-'24 coach models that were designed and engineered to bring the closed two door coach sedan into price parity with the open touring cars, which they did by 1925.  People wanted to ride inside a weather-tight car rather than experience the vicissitudes of the weather.  How well did it work?  Here are the sales numbers: 1922: 36,222; 1923: 42,577; 1924: 74,523; 1925: 159,634; 1926: 157,247; 1927: 210,380; 1928: 229,887.  Hudson was crying all the way to the bank!

• Like 2