The most amusing SCAM I have seen

Bob Jacobsen

After advertising for a 1933 Pierce-Arrow headlight switch, I received an email from RayMax@gmail.com, stating he has '1933 Pierce-Arrow parts, "email me for more details".  I replied "please describe in detail what you have, pictures are helpful." He replied:

"Here is the attached picture of my 1933 Pierce-Arrow. I²m
breaking this car for parts because of my health problem as I need to sell the car
on time to raise funds to take care of my health problems.I want you
to send me the list of parts that you are after , so that I can give
you prices for them .
I will also need your exact delivery address to allow me know if the
delivery will be practical to your door step .
My Regards ."  [no name]

THE PICTURE of the car he was "breaking up" WAS OF A 1933 PIERCE SILVER ARROW (1 of 3 in the world) !!!

I googled his email, and it turned up in a Russian dating service under "carautonews.xyz"

Caveat emptor.

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

10 hours ago, Bob Jacobsen said:

After advertising for a 1933 Pierce-Arrow headlight switch, I received an email from RayMax@gmail.com, stating he has '1933 Pierce-Arrow parts, "email me for more details".

Anytime you post your name, email address and phone number on a forum, as you did when you advertised that you needed the switch, you are opening the door for scammers to walk in. Not all people who visit this forum are here because they love old cars. They are here because they love money and are willing to take advantage of other members to get it.

• Like 5

I have twice had individuals tell me that someone else had the parts I need and that I should contact the other person who lives in XYZ via email.  Before I knew better, I contacted the people, and both times they wanted electronic pay.  I refused, but in one case, I actually sent a $35 check to an address.  Turns out that the address was bad and I ended up putting a stop payment on the check.  People can find pictures of parts on the web and send you images. One way to resolve this problem is to get a referral from someone you trust, verify the payment address and a phone number at the address, or only pay via a payment system where you can get a refund if something goes wrong.  Remember... PayPal is backed by a credit card and even if paypal will not give you a refund, you can cancel the payment on your credit card.  Sad days when people will stoop to the level of scamming parts.  I wonder what the Internet will be like in 25 years.

3 hours ago, Joe West said:

I have twice had individuals tell me that someone else had the parts I need and that I should contact the other person who lives in XYZ via email.  Before I knew better, I contacted the people, and both times they wanted electronic pay.  I refused, but in one case, I actually sent a $35 check to an address.  Turns out that the address was bad and I ended up putting a stop payment on the check.  People can find pictures of parts on the web and send you images. One way to resolve this problem is to get a referral from someone you trust, verify the payment address and a phone number at the address, or only pay via a payment system where you can get a refund if something goes wrong.  Remember... PayPal is backed by a credit card and even if paypal will not give you a refund, you can cancel the payment on your credit card.  Sad days when people will stoop to the level of scamming parts.  I wonder what the Internet will be like in 25 years.

This is where our world is headed. Everyone, no, most want something for free.

• Like 1