Jump to content

8cyl car with massive headlights


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

This Horch demonstrates how far reaching was the styling influence of Harley Earl's 1927 LaSalle.

 

... but it is well known that Earl got his inspiration for the 1927 LaSalle from Hispano-Suiza

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Yep....1929....

1929 Horch.jpg

 

 

Yikes! I never realized how much the look of my '29 Cadillac was stolen. Even the bumpers and the windshield visor are virtually identical.

 

132060880_20140712_174302_Android(2).thumb.jpg.8c9e23dac6f2474dfb6d4c01a5b585f9.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed, Earl was inspired by one of the most attractively styled contemporary cars which the Hispano-Suiza was, though it seemed to have taken the boost from a GM production car to propel that design influence to the wider industry.   How were the Horch cars styled before this time?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Indeed, Earl was inspired by one of the most attractively styled contemporary cars which the Hispano-Suiza was, though it seemed to have taken the boost from a GM production car to propel that design influence to the wider industry.   How were the Horch cars styled before this time?

 

Pretty much the same, so my guess is that Horch didn't copy Cadillac.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Matt:

Misterl knew he had a winner in the 1927 LaSalle, immediately applied the same themes to the 1928 Cadillacs.  Survey the styling presented by the industry in 1926-'27, then compare it to 1928-'29, the immediate affect of the LaSalle influence is striking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, West Peterson said:

 

Pretty much the same, so my guess is that Horch didn't copy Cadillac.

Perhaps Horch took their styling inspiration directly from Hispano-Suiza, Misterl simply decided it would work as well here in American.  Whatever the case, the resulting cars are extremely attractive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 58L-Y8 said:

Perhaps Horch took their styling inspiration directly from Hispano-Suiza, Misterl simply decided it would work as well here in American.  Whatever the case, the resulting cars are extremely attractive.

 

I think the biggest impact of the design of the 1927 LaSalle is behind the cowl. The front end styling looked pretty much the same as the European cars.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

 

 

Yikes! I never realized how much the look of my '29 Cadillac was stolen. Even the bumpers and the windshield visor are virtually identical.

 

132060880_20140712_174302_Android(2).thumb.jpg.8c9e23dac6f2474dfb6d4c01a5b585f9.jpg

 

There is also a bit of Studebaker in there as well - 

 

See the source image

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...