1940 Buick Special Engine Pics

LarryDolphins

The engine is painted gray, including intake and exhaust, flywheel housing and timing inspection cover, plus hardware on the valve cover and pushrod cover and spark plug cover.  There has been considerable discussion in the past about the fuel, oil and vacuum lines, but photo documentation by @2carb40  from a low mileage documented survivor shows that is also painted gray.  The accessories such as the starter, generator, distributor, the fan and associated pully plus the air cleaner are black, semi-gloss.  The carburetor and fuel pump are not painted.  There is no detailing of raised lettering on the engine, but there are decals such as the one you see in the photo above on the valve cover and oil fill plus the air cleaner.  A finer point to the detailing is that the engine was fully assembled then sprayed.  That will tell you that the rubber hose connection between the water pump and distribution neck was also painted.  The oil filter cartridge was painted black for the very early cars, then converted to silver after a filter housing redesign in later cars.  Here's the referenced thread: https://forums.aaca.org/topic/333114-1940-oil-filter-unit-color/

Edited by kgreen
correctness (see edit history)

I have a factory photo of a 39 special engine from the factory tour book "Buick's Busy Acres". The paint job on the engines were very poor quality. Buick placed  bags over the starter, generator, distributor, and carburetor with no attempt to be careful. The factory then painted the whole engine including parts of the bagged components not totally covered. There was overspray and areas that were hard to reach were simply missed. Buick gave 40 models the same treatment. Kgreen did a great very accurate job describing the painted components.

Thanks

Leif

Thanks everyone for the pics and info. Need to get started on mine.

Yesterday I was trying to clean rust off of the glove box (machined metal) and found the the metal is not really machined.

Looks like a coating applied on top of the metal. Anyone know of a place that does that machined metal look ?

24 minutes ago, LarryDolphins said:

Thanks everyone for the pics and info. Need to get started on mine.

Yesterday I was trying to clean rust off of the glove box (machined metal) and found the the metal is not really machined.

Looks like a coating applied on top of the metal. Anyone know of a place that does that machined metal look ?

You just opened up another can of worms for discussion.  Give this a shot:

Oops, Larry. I see there are 24 replies to the thread Ken called your attention to. Perhaps Doug Seybold's name is included in one of those replies. Doug has been doing the engine turning for years....wonderful work from what I've seen, but it "come with a price tag", as they say. Best of luck with your '40 project. John