Tube & Tire Recommendations

1930StudeFD

I have a 1930 Studebaker Commander Sedan and it takes 6.00x19 tires. I’m having a hard time locating that tire size and tubes with bent metal valve stems. Any recommendations on tires and tubes and where I can find them? And what brands I should avoid? 5.50 are too narrow and 6.50 would rub. Thanks!

The tubes are on back order again........won’t be available till June at the soonest. You need to look past size on the sidewall, and read actual inflated dimensions. Also, ask in the Stude club what others are running. Tires are not always available in all brands at all times. It’s getting so bad, I now keep extra tires in stock at home.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, oldford said:

Universal Tire in Lancaster will bend metal stems for you. Just send them a drawing indicating where the bend should be and at what angle. They have done it for me many times.

Frank

Nope.

They told me they had them and when I placed the order it was immediately backordered which sort of annoyed me since I asked before placing the order.  They don't have the stems.

When I bought tires and tubes for my firetruck, they only had straight stemmed tubes. I sent them a drawing of the bend I needed and they bent 5 tubes to match my drawing. That was when Eric Maxwell was there, maybe things have changed...

Frank

• 1 month later...

If they are too large, you will get folds causing sudden unexpected failure. I have found even using older tubes that came from old tires, and using lots of tire talc (for gods sake don't breathe it), and letting all the air out 2 or 3 times, it is often difficult to be absolutely sure that that the tube is laying out smooth in there. For this reason I have always preferred to use new tubes. Their slightly smaller size (since they aren't stretched out yet) makes it easier.

In recent years though, all I hear is how bad the new ones are, and for the last few months how you can't get them at all. One common complaint is that they are made more undersize now to save rubber, and have to stretch too far, causing the seams to fail. I have not seen this myself, but if it is true, it could work in your favor. I would buy just one of those tubes, and put only enough air in it to make it tire shaped, then stick it inside one of your old tires (no rim). If it rattles around in there, I think you are good to go.

Think you have to go this route and then perhaps ask universal if they can handle the stem vulconizing for you 

https://www.blockleytyre.com/product/650-x-19

https://www.vintagetyres.com/shop/tubes/tubes-inners/width-700

Or try one of the other European tire companies. 

And, then there are truck tubes that are still available for 19" and 20"