For Sale: 1957 Buick Special - "would be a wonderful restoration car" - Elkhorn, WI - Not Mine - 3/1 Deleted

6T-FinSeeker

For sale on Craigslist: 1957 Buick Special 4-Door Sedan in Elkhorn, WI  -  $4,000  -  No phone # provided.  Reply to Seller through Craigslist email to:  e20671914b3133efbb3aba35fd3cc59b@sale.craigslist.org

Link: https://janesville.craigslist.org/cto/d/elkhorn-1957-buick-special/7280698873.html

Seller's Description:

1957 Buick Special 4-Door Sedan

• condition: fair
  • odometer: 100,000
  • transmission: manual
  • title status: clean

Vehicle does start. Vehicle would be a wonderful restoration car. Willing to hear other offers.

image.png.2269b08fef0b54f42bd54c5964b77ade.png

image.png.56f8a246dcc68f0cc9aa642a3160e666.png

image.thumb.png.2d10c0dda1f94261807c66c855c03b50.png

image.thumb.png.a8193c0d3b608b6f92c331a0704ffb45.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I emailed seller asking about rear bumper ends and interior and got this reply:

"The special is missing the bumper and the interiors are pretty beat up and would need to be completely gutted"

My guess is the rear bumper ends were pretty nice, and were robbed for another car.  Unfortunately, this reduces this car to a parts car probably.  Just about anyone buying a 4 door Special that needs work to actually fix it is not going to want to drop the coin necessary to buy nice bumper ends, if they can find them.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rusty Heaps said:

That car is too nice to part out, especially when there are still so many parts cars in junkyards and parts available through others who have them. Let’s try to put more of these classics on the road, not the scrap heap.

I agree, which is why it's a shame they already started parting it.  If the rear bumper ends were on it and as nice as the rest of the chrome appears, it may be worth the asking price or close too it.  However, the rear bumper ends will cost probably $1000 for nice originals if you can find them, or $1600-$2000 for rechromed ones.  It's tough to justify that on a car that is worth sub $10k even if it was brought up to a nice driver condition and probably sub $20k fully restored.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lancemb said:

@Rusty Heaps, I hear ya.  I'm just being realistic.  There are just too many of these out there, and too few rear bumper ends; try finding a good pair.  The car may be saved, but it will have to be sold for much less than asking price probably.

There are never too many out there. Unfortunately fewer prospects every day.Perhaps I’m too much of a softy when it comes to these older cars, but I can’t stand to see a viable driver scrapped.

3 hours ago, Rusty Heaps said:

There are never too many out there. Unfortunately fewer prospects every day.Perhaps I’m too much of a softy when it comes to these older cars, but I can’t stand to see a viable driver scrapped.

If I had it my way, every remaining 57 Buick would be saved.  Unfortunately, there is a supply vs. demand issue with the cars themselves, which leads to a supply/demand disconnect for rare parts such as the rear bumper ends (to name just the most rare, but there are others).  There are fewer sets in existence than cars that need them still, so cars will get parted out until we are at parity.  Nobody is going to reproduce them because they'd lose money.

• Like 2

Close to my house is a 1957 Estate wagon that a friend of mine was going to buy, I went with him to look at it, the front bumper and grille with emblem was in good shape, the rear bumper ends and upper and lower tailgate looked good (and rear side glass) , BUT there was NO roof, previous owner cut roof off to use making his tool shed. The seller changed mind and declined to sell car.

Bob

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1957 Buick Special - "would be a wonderful restoration car" - Elkhorn, WI - Not Mine - 3/1 Deleted
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2021 at 9:17 AM, dei said:

Someone buys that car I have a set of rear bumper ends that would be rough cores and could be had (looking to liquidate). Then all one would have to find is the enter piece...

DEI - If you still have the bumper ends, I might be interested in them. I have a center section. My car is pretty rough but I am trying to get some parts gathered so I can get it going.

14 minutes ago, 57 Special hardtop said:

DEI - If you still have the bumper ends, I might be interested in them. I have a center section. My car is pretty rough but I am trying to get some parts gathered so I can get it going.

Hello 57 Special hardtop,

I'm sending you a pm message. Sorry for the delayl

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, 57 Special hardtop said:

Good evening DEI,

Lancemb has sold his pair of bumper ends on Ebay.

He said your left one is in better shape than my left one.

Is it, or both of them, still available?

Thank you

I recommend sending dei a PM; he may not see this.