Jump to content

1922 MAXWELL MODEL 25 COMPRESSION


mikeydog
 Share

Recommended Posts

My records suggest the 1922 Maxwell would have used an Eagle carburetor for domestic models, and a Zenith T4X for export models.

 

I have never tried to make an Eagle carburetor run.

 

The Zenith T4X has a very thin cast iron throttle body surrounding a zinc alloy (pot metal) venturi that "grows" with age; thus cracking the cast iron. From observation, about 90 percent of those found are cracked (the other 10 percent WERE cracked, and repaired)! Another disadvantage to the T4X is you must compete with the Henderson motorcycle crowd, as the Henderson also used a T4X.

 

The Tillotson model X was an aftermarket "imitation carburetor" for use on the models A and B Ford.

 

The question about compression is not in my area of expertise, but as a "rule-of-thumb", I use 12 times the compression ratio for my own use on pre-1930's vehicles. Hopefully, an engine specialist will give you better information.

 

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My educated (somewhat) guess on the compression would be about 4:5  to 1.   5 to 1 would be max.  So... X 12 would be 54 to 60 lbs.  That would be BEST on a good, warm motor. 

Your Tillotson should work. When mine ran ( eon's ago) it had a Model B Ford carb on it.  Maybe just repair it. 

 

Edited by Oldtech (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Tillotson x carb is a very good carb in good condition.

You say the car is getting too much fuel...Do you know how to adjust the carburetor? You can lean out that carb pretty well to the point of burning up the valves.

The running mixture can be adjusted readily when it is connected to the proper choke rod that also adjustes the mixer for starting/warming up and then adjusted for running.

There is the normal idle air mixer screw too..

Learn about the model A ford carb adjustments properly and theTillotson rebuilding.

 

Usually the worst thing is a warped mounting flange which can be trued up and striped mounting bolt holes that can be repaired or use bolts and nuts.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...