For Sale: 1957 Mercury Montclair - "need to sell" - Oxnard, CA - Not Mine - 3/12 & 3/10 Reduced

For sale on Craigslist: 1957 Mercury Montclair 4-Door in Oxnard, CA  -  $8,900  -  Call Cesar:  805 607 51 nine one

On 3/10, Seller reduced price to $8,500

On 3/12, Seller reduced price to $8,000

Link: https://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/d/port-hueneme-1957-mercury-montclair/7280025953.html

Seller's Description:

1957 Mercury Montclair 4-Door

• cylinders: 8 cylinders
  • transmission: automatic
  • odometer: 180,000
  • odometer broken
  • title status: clean

Wife is having a baby need to sell. Asking $8,500 OBO

image.thumb.png.f8c66d4a765e317ee7958a3be40c70d7.png

image.thumb.png.03188f2fee4495f7e134b631831af73f.png

image.thumb.png.5d4a3430dd051a648e1c0f35a72708b6.png

image.thumb.png.56bb2b34abe0899a97ee76308b2988ba.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update price (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Looks like a clean driver with lots of style.  Ad could maybe use more pictures. Also, it'd be nice to know if the engine has been rebuilt or replaced in it's 180k miles. If there's no problem rust and runs/drives without issue, it would be worth the money, in my humble opinion.

• Like 4

Radiator is replaced with an aluminum aftermarket-

fan clutch is not original-

hoses from windshield washer bottle missing,

and that is from what little I can see-

but the interior looks clean-

and no telling where it has been prior to Oxnard,

but could be an interesting "entry-level" car if you can inspect it in person

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

fan clutch is not original-

And you would not WANT it to be. 

1957 Mercs with the 312 engine came standard with a "Power Saver" fan.  (it included a little gauge on the dash - ON & OFF)

This early clutch fan functioned with a bulb located in the shaft of the water pump near the impeller. The shaft was hollow and contained a push rod that extended into the fan clutch. When the bulb got hot enough it expanded and pushed the rod to mechanically engage the clutch in the fan. Thereby causing it to rotate at full engine speed. If the coolant was lower than the set temp the fan was not directly driven and spun at less than engine speed. 

The dash gauge was operated  by its own temp sender (different from the normal temp gauge) and typically sat at "ON" position (meaning no direct fan action - thus saving power) When it sensed higher temps the contacts closed and the needle went to "OFF" and indicated that the fan was being spun at engine speed thus NOT saving power. 

For the system to operate as intended you need the correct water pump with the hollow shaft and temp bulb. One water pump replacement and these parts are gone forever. 1957 Mercury was the only car that ever used this design and only on the smaller 312. The bigger 368 motor had a fixed fan. I have never seen an original water pump with the push rod and temp bulb. I have seen a few fan clutches but they are useless because with out the other parts  the fan would never lock up for maximum cooling. 

Strange design on a car that used a bunch of strange designs. . . . 

• Thanks 3

6 hours ago, TG57Roadmaster said:

Oxnard is on the coast, west of LA and south of Ventura.

But the Merc looks like a good example, probably reupholstered and restored to some level.

Lived in the San Fernando Valley, just over the hill from Oxnard for many years. Pretty familiar with the area. 

All I can say is Oxnard is like a smaller version of Los Angeles. Is LA on the coast? Yes part of it. It you drive the 101, you will pass through Oxnard, but will not be near the coast. Beautiful area, part on the coast and part not on the coast. I really lived near there for 40 years and know of what I speak. 

• Like 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1957 Mercury Montclair - "need to sell" - Oxnard, CA - Not Mine - 3/12 & 3/10 Reduced