1937 Buick Fender Light Lens Question

Do the original 1937 Buick fender light lenses come to a shorter, less-pronounced point at their front end, compared to the front end of the original 1938 lenses? I know the currently-offered reproduction front fender light lenses  are being sold as "one lens for both years", but I'm not sure that's correct. Thanks. John

The original 1937 fender light lens is slightly longer than the reproductions. The two photos show the difference. In the first photo, the reproduction is on the left and the original one is on the right. In the second photo, the installed fender light lens is an original. I am holding the reproduction lens beside it. The difference is so slight that you have to compare them side by side to see a difference. I don't think anybody will ever notice a difference unless they make a side by side comparison. 

DSC_0581.JPG

DSC_0582.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks for all of the input, including the photos, Guys. I appreciate your time in helping. It seems that "life is never simple", is it?

AND, per my earlier question, can I assume the 1938 lenses are somewhat different than the variety of '37's shown? Please forgive my ignorance on this topic, John

24 minutes ago, Jolly_John said:

AND, per my earlier question, can I assume the 1938 lenses are somewhat different than the variety of '37's shown? Please forgive my ignorance on this topic, John

I think we might have gotten slightly away from your question and didn't really answer it. From a 1947 Master Parts list;

The early 1937 fender lens part number is      920662

The later 1937  fender lens part number is      921435

The 1938 fender lens part number is                921435

So Buick used the later 1937 Buick lens in the 1938 Buicks.

Carl

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Does the part number actually appear on the lens itself?

No, I don't see a number on either lens.

From the picture you posted I'd feel confident saying your lens is an original late 1937 lens. If you noticed in the picture I posted comparing an early and late lens, the early lens is blunter, shorter and clear on the end. I've only seen a few cars with the early lens in 45 years. Only reason I have the early lens is I parted out an early car years ago. I've never seen anything mentioning when the transition happened.

Carl

• Thanks 1

As I stated I have never found any information as to when they changed fender light lenses. The car the early lens came off of was assembled in Flint around mid November of 1936.

Carl

On 2/20/2021 at 10:17 AM, Jolly_John said:

Do the original 1937 Buick fender light lenses come to a shorter, less-pronounced point at their front end, compared to the front end of the original 1938 lenses? I know the currently-offered reproduction front fender light lenses  are being sold as "one lens for both years", but I'm not sure that's correct. Thanks. John

John,

I reproduce the early 1937 lens.  

Dave Bowman

D&D Automobilia, LLC

www.danddautomobilia.com

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks for the heads-up, Dave. I've heard you do a wonderful job reproducing many needed lenses and other parts in plastic. What a super service to the old car hobby.

I've  been given three NOS glass, early '37 BUICK fender light lenses to sell. I did my initial post here, in order to learn more about these lenses, so I wouldn't accidently misrepresent what they fit. I'll try to find time over the weekend to get them posted for sale here on the BUICK forum. John

• Like 1