65 Riv - Carter AFB’s - interchangeable part?

moran75

Hi all

i have a four barrel Carter AFB 3921S - I need to swap out the aluminium choke housing - not the circular plastic part but just the aluminium section that piece screws on to. I have found someone selling a Carter 3503S which I believe was also an original carb for a ‘65 ... is it structurally different from my 3921S or will parts be compatible between the two?

cheers

kev 

Kev,

The 3621S is a '65 & '66/401 automatic carb.

You can get a brand new choke housings from various diff. places  (NAPA is one) & they even come with an electric choke.

Very easy to wire up. 12 volts & a ground. Pick up 12 volts from the yellow kickdown wire.

Before these new housings became available it would take months of searching to finally come up with a good housing as they ALL seemed to be worped or other problems which usually CANNOT be picked up/out with pictures.

Tom T.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, carbking said:

The choke housings are different.

3503s - 170-785s

3921s - 170-839s (superseded by 170-911s)

Sorry.

Jon

Oakey dokey...re the 3921s and the superseded part number ...will either fit or will I need to make sure I find the specific part number that I’m replacing? If you see what I mean....

kev

The first 3921s carbs came with the 170-839s choke housing assembly. Sometime during production, 170-839s was discontinued, and superseded by 170-911s.

Either will fit and work on the 3921s carburetor.

The Master Parts Index does not specify the exact date of change (this would be on the original drawing, and no offense meant, only necessary for an exact numbers-matching car, so not going to look it up); nor the reason for the change (this information may or may not be available on the original drawing).

Jon

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, telriv said:

Kev,

The number 3921S is an original number. IF it had a revision it would have an A after the number, i.e. 3921SA or a B if a second revision.

Underneath that number would be the build date. Post some pics.

Tom T.

Def a 3921S...only checking with Jon re. comparability of the two diff aluminium choke housings he identified..all now ok ...thanks all

kev