Lathrop Marine Engine

JV Puleo

I realize this isn't "automotive" but I've never seen one and it occurs to me that someone here might have. I'd like an early one - they were 1 cylinder, 2-stroke motors ... presumably like the attached advertising illustration. Condition isn't critical but I would want one that could possibly be rebuilt...

Why? Because my great-grandfather installed one in his fishing sloop around the turn of the century and, being something of an inventor, made some changes to it. The result was his boat catching fire on Christmas Eve around 1902. My grandmother, who would have been 9 at the time, remembered her father and older brothers rowing out to the boat and sinking it by cutting a hole at the water line with a fire axe. This was in Stonington, Connecticut and the engines were built in Mystic, close by.

Lathrop3HP1.jpg.6e77b3b884eff1323c136144cc6ab39e.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Someone here was kind enough to PM me with the name of a person selling one of these engines and somehow, I've lost the PM or I would thank them directly. I did contact the gentleman and it looks as if I'm buying it...but I want thank the person who helped. As I said above, I've never seen one so this should be interesting.

jp

Well...I suspect this is a scam.

I received a PM through this forum suggesting I contact someone in Virginia who had an engine for sale. I did so and they sent me a this photo...

1663691358_Mailedphoto.jpg.0fd102e4bd5c4a26bdaa9642f9a63d12.jpg

There were a couple of red flags though...this was the only picture and the seller offered it "shipping included"... He offered to ship it via priority mail. The maximum weight for a Priority Mail shipment is 70 lbs and even if this is the smallest of the Lathrop engines - which had a 4" bore and a 4" stroke I don't see how it could weigh less than 70 lbs...the flywheel probably weighs 40 or 50 lbs. So, I did an image search on "Lathrop Marine Engine". One of the things that came up was a thread on a marine engine web site that included this picture...

266380.thumb.jpg.b0b9d87d6599dffdf0bdccc77f2806ee.jpg

I think it's pretty obvious that its the same photo...and the person posting it was in Florida...

Now, none of that proves anything but it certainly needs some explanation, after all, the guy in Virginia could have bought it from the guy in Florida but I still don't see how it could be shipped Priority Mail. It's probably not a coincidence that I'd like to get a very early example since I'm sure that is what my Great Grandfather had and, strangely  enough, the discussion of this engine centered on how it was one of the earliest known.

Fortunately, I haven't sent any money...

What I don't understand is how the PM disappeared from my mail box. If the sender of a personal message erases it, does it erase from the recipient's  mail box?

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

52 minutes ago, JV Puleo said:

Well...I suspect this is a scam.

<snip>

What I don't understand is how the PM disappeared from my mail box. If the sender of a personal message erases it, does it erase from the recipient's  mail box?

Read this--->