Calling all experts 58 headliner question !

StylishOne

Calling all 58 Experts! Recently I heard of an “optional” headliner on 58 Coupe deville  it appeared to be an embossed vinyl or plastic with  a rectangular like bar looking  repeated motif ..but  no chrome bars or perforated  vinyl like the ones I knew and often see .. 

So can anyone tell me if that option shows up in Salesman Data book .  I think I see something like a hint of it on a Seville in the 58 Brochure .. so owners of series 62/ CDV or Seville let me know so I can learn something new .. or tell me it’s a replacement  aftermarket trim .. ?? 

The 1958 Cadillac data book mentions this headliner in two places...

Under "New features of the 1958 Cadillac" it says "New molded headlining on Coupe and Sedan de Ville and Seville."

Under the interior section is says "...new vinyl-covered fiber glass headlining in Coupe and Sedan de Ville..."

Most of the cars found on the web have perforated vinyl headliner with chrome bars, but I did find a Coupe de Ville with the molded headliner in poor condition. And this Eldorado Seville.

406154-39.jpg

Edited by Oldsfan (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

The Cadillac brochure makes no mention of a special headliner for de Ville models, but it does for the Seville. Nor does it mention any kind of headliner option for de Villes.

As you mentioned, the headliner is seen in the Seville in the brochure and it matches the above photo. Looking at the Sedan de Ville in the brochure, it appears to have the same headliner - at least no chrome bars are seen.

The data book makes references as though the fiber glass headliner was standard on de Villes and makes no references about optional (at extra cost or for-credit) headliners.

My Cadillac parts catalog only goes back to 1959 where headliners are concerned.

There was a specification book that lists the following for headliners:

Models J &  L (Coupe and Sedan de Ville) - coated fabric, molded block pattern center panel, with pebble grain border.

Model H (Eldorado Seville) - coated fabric, molded bead pattern center panel, with pebble grain border.

Series 62 cars are listed as using "cloth with small raised pattern."

Series 75 cars are listed a using plain cloth.

Nothing shows a perforated vinyl with chrome bars.

Maybe there was a quality problem after introduction which caused them to revert to a more standard headliner?

• Thanks 1