For Sale: 1929 Cadillac V8 Coupe Excellent - PROJECT - $18,000 - Keswick, VA- Not Mine

For Sale: 1929 Cadillac V8 Coupe Excellent - PROJECT - $18,000 - Keswick, VA

1929 Cadillac V8 Coupe Excellent - cars & trucks - by owner -... (craigslist.org)

1929 Cadillac V8 Coupe Excellent condition. Estate Sale. Car is 90% restored. Needs finishing and TLC. New chrome, paint greenish/silver, mechanicals including motor are done. Needs upholstery and wiring. This is a beautiful RARE car.

Copy and paste in your email:  bfa473e35bb4365a8a0c8148b70d05bc@sale.craigslist.org
I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1929 Cadillac V8 Coupe - PROJECT.   

Note:  Although wildly optimistically overpriced, posted here as a 'heads-up' to apprise those interested the car will be on the market for a while.  Maybe reality will eventually set in.

'29 Cadillac V8 Coupe GA a.jpg

'29 Cadillac V8 Coupe GA b.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
Added 'over' to 'priced' (see edit history)

Thank you for posting this. I had also notified the folks here in another thread about a 1932 Buick 90 series victoria coupe unfinished project. Although the Cadillac looks to have had more effort into some sort of reassembly. I always like the "90% restored" comment on some of these ads. As many of the hobby people know that many times the last 10% of restoration costs 90% of the money invested.

1263904850_DSCF8450(1024x768).thumb.jpg.0ff50a1aca4cccd203b0c4b84680f3ab.jpg

Partial attempt with a rebuilt engine that was never started then major dissasembly. Sitting for over 15 years. The family has been holding at 15K. But needs to be sold by March since property has been sold. My friend was interested because the seller indicated that it had nice original upholstery.

244677645_DSCF8461(1024x768).thumb.jpg.eb32c6dff50f9ccbd18b25fb2e436913.jpg Turned out to be a 1960s sloppy gray vinyl. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

A.J.

Want to get a nasty response from the '29 Cadillac seller?  Email him your handy graph to determine a project cars value.  Guaranteed his response wont be fit to re-post here!

In fairness to most estate sales,   the families don't know anything about the cars.   We take for granted we know all this stuff inside and out,   but even I tend to overvalue projects.   Ed usually comes around and takes my number and divides by 2.   He is usually closer than me to final selling price.

• Like 5

The mindset of sellers......

"It's worth every penny I'm asking and I ain't budging....."

"Gee, no one is calling me about the car, perhaps I'm asking too much, oh well, I'm in no hurry, don't need the money, and I don't care, lets see what happens"

"Hmmm, not a lot of action, maybe I should lower the price or listen to lower offers"

"I am losing storage, have no place to put it, and I'm broke and any amount of money would be helpful"

If you like the car, figure out which of these sellers you are dealing with and act accordingly.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, alsancle said:

In fairness to most estate sales,   the families don't know anything about the cars.   We take for granted we know all this stuff inside and out,   but even I tend to overvalue projects.   Ed usually comes around and takes my number and divides by 2.   He is usually closer than me to final selling price.

Yes, The unfortunate family members dealing with loss also have to dispose of their loved one's earthly possessions, among which is an old car about which they know absolutely nothing.  Well, They likely 'know' just one thing: how much the dear depart one told them repeatedly how extremely valuable that car is or would be restored.  Ergo, now that is disposition is an estate matter, the executor has the responsibility to be diligent and extract as much of that 'value' from its sale as possible.    In this case, maybe divide the asking price by 3 or 3.5 to get a reasonable price, dependent upon how much really has been restored.  We're going to see this Cadillac for sale for a long time.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, md murray said:

-I had hoped for some comments along these lines in the thread for the 1937 Packard roadster project currently listed. Would be curious to see what folks thought of that one. It would appear to be a project that stalled out a little closer to completion?  

I missed that one.

26 minutes ago, Cadillac Fan said:

I would change the add to best offer and probably accept the first real cash offer.  

I looked at this one and passed:

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/af18/auburn-fall/lots/r0339-1929-cadillac-v-8-coupe-by-fisher/699751

That car sets the market well.   Take a look at my graph,  this car would be on the far left side.   The car in this thread would be just to the right of zero value.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cadillac Fan said:

A sales price of $21,725 for the R. M. Sotheby's sale

seems like a good price to me.  However, in other threads

people have been talking about the problems and 

high expenses of keeping 1929 Cadillacs running.

Cadillac Fan, why did you pass?  (I've copied the

picture here for everyone's reference.)

image.thumb.png.4530bbff2719c9a9ccc79fffa0829e29.png

42 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

A sales price of $21,725 for the R. M. Sotheby's sale

seems like a good price to me.  However, in other threads

people have been talking about the problems and 

high expenses of keeping 1929 Cadillacs running.

Cadillac Fan, why did you pass?  (I've copied the

picture here for everyone's reference.)

image.thumb.png.4530bbff2719c9a9ccc79fffa0829e29.png

Space and the next car I purchase will be done completely( if there is such a thing).  I am really looking for a flathead (36-41) Cadillac.  I was not sure how reliable I could make the car for tours.  

The RM auction car was a mess, and hacked to death. Just look at the manifold and carburetor. When you see tractor mechanics hack a car like that.......you know the rest of the car is a disaster. There is nothing more expensive than a CCCA classic car that is cheap.

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

The RM auction car was a mess, and hacked to death. Just look at the manifold and carburetor.

My looking at the car, I see the changed downdraft carburetor - No vacuum tank so it must have an electric pump someplace. How well was the fuel system changed? metal tubing through out? or old rubber lines everywhere waiting to leak? We can only see one side of the engine. I will assume that the engine runs OK and has no serious issues (but it might be smoking?) 

I would assume the worst for the radiator (mine was $3k) and I bet the shutter thermostat is not functional. 

Brakes? suspension? All unknowns but looking at that carb change and you would have to assume that there are many demons lurking in the mechanical parts due to deferred maintenance. Water pump? Generator?

The interior does look original :-) But how good are the "Caitlin Stone" (1929 plastic) on the window cranks? The shift knob looks decent.  

No picture of the rumble seat . . . .(?) 

No mention (or image) of the gauges - My tank sender and dash unit were $800 I cant find a original temp gauge for mine. 

Then as discussed is the hidden disappointment of the Cadillac pot metal(!!) 

Is the distributor good or has it been glued together? ($2k to fix)  

The car is missing the heat control lever on the dash (leaving a hole) because the under hood linkage has been removed. 

I suspect that the steering wheel levers do not operate the headlight switch. They are still there <hooray>, but how is the diecast spider behind the wheel? We know the hand throttle does not work because of the carb change. 

The speedometer cable has a major diecast part at the transmission. I think you know about how fragile the speedos themselves are. 

The stanchions for the parking and tail lights are most likely original and are probably glued together pieces not brass replacement castings. Add another $1000 to replace these. 

I will just assume the body wood is good, but wiring on an un proven car has to be considered suspect. 

IF you want to park it as a static display it seems Ok

However to make it reliable tour type car I am thinking $10,000 $15,000 right off the bat assuming no engine, trans, clutch type issues. 

This is based on my experience, your mileage may vary . . . .

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 4

On 2/17/2021 at 1:21 PM, md murray said:

-I had hoped for some comments along these lines in the thread for the 1937 Packard roadster project currently listed. Would be curious to see what folks thought of that one. It would appear to be a project that stalled out a little closer to completion?  

That Packard was owned by a well know Packard guy in IL.  I read somewhere that it was owned (allegedly) by General Patton. 

I would put that in a different league than this as I would be fairly confident that what work that is done is pretty good to very good.  Have not seen the car and have no idea as to value.  

Edited by Cadillac Fan (see edit history)