Clear convertible top....a trimmer's nightmare, but cool

trimacar

I know that we often don't like discussing modified cars, but this is interesting.

I've made clear tops before, to go OVER the new tops on Classic open cars for protection.

Don't think I've ever seen a clear convertible top in the altogether.

clear top.jpg

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• trimacar changed the title to Clear convertible top....a trimmer's nightmare, but cool

That looks cool...I bet has great visibility. But I can't help but think of how it's going to look when it turns yellow and starts cracking after a few years.

Also, it reminds me of the clear plastic coating some people used to put on couches. I don't have fond memories of them 

• Like 4

I think Billy hit the nail on the head about the top material. I don't think the clear material holds up well to sunlight with yellowing and cracking. Wasn't there a Ford product that had a clear top that was a bust because of the extreme heat in the cabin?

Seems I read the GM Firebird concepts with their clear canopies were very hot inside in high temps. Lincoln Futura too before it became the Batmobile.

Was waiting to be called in to my chiropractor's office just before noon. 39° ambient by the truck's sensor but dang if it didn't get hot in that truck in bright sun.

Now if the individuals with this clear top in OP picture really wanted to “impress” someone, they should have the seats and all other interior covers (seats, etc) along with drivers/passengers outfits, including undergarments, done in clear also. 😳

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Restorer32 said:

We had a 9000 mile '31 Cadillac V16 Limo in the shop last year.  Someone, apparently in the 1950's or 1960's, covered the seats and door panels in that clear plastic so popular then for sofas.  It did an excellent job of preserving the original interior.

I remember when that was fairly standard dealer installed "accessory".  My dad did that on his '55 Chevy.  Especially good with three kids to keep the rear seat clean.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TTR said:

Now if the individuals with this clear top in OP picture really wanted to “impress” someone, they should have the seats and all other interior covers (seats, etc) along with drivers/passengers outfits, including undergarments, done in clear also. 😳

Look for a 1968 Quasar Unipower!!  https://www.cardesignnews.com/ccotm-quasar-khanhs-unipower-city-car/38485.article

Craig

On 2/17/2021 at 9:13 AM, 46 woodie said:

I think Billy hit the nail on the head about the top material. I don't think the clear material holds up well to sunlight with yellowing and cracking. Wasn't there a Ford product that had a clear top that was a bust because of the extreme heat in the cabin?

And also , as I recall, the 1954 Mercury "SUN VALLEY" option, where the front half of the roof was glass.

There was a zippered headliner to somewhat offset the "Broil Factor".

Ford did offer the option in at least 1954, as well as an option with the Crown Victoria in 1955,

but not sure if it survived into 1956

• Like 2

I think I've opened the full length skylight in our Lincoln Nautilus a couple of times for the grandkids. I cannot understand why anyone would purchase a clear top in a car if it didn't come as a package deal. Like setting under a heat lamp on a clear day and nothing to look at on a cloudy one. 

On 2/21/2021 at 5:41 PM, padgett said:

I painted the removable sunroof in my Fieros (several) black. Mostly a roof vent anyway. Tempted to do same to CTS.

Paint it white.  Black absorbs light, causing it to heat up - white reflects light.