The weather in Michigan is...

Str8-8-Dave

Try stepping on a Man-O-War.

In the years I spent in Indiana (1970-1975) I practiced the drip. Also used occasionally in Texas. I find AC and showers are preferable to being cold.

.sig is a good place for location.

57 degrees here in Franklin NC today and sunny.  Weatherman says the bad weather is coming as rain and colder later this week.   I would have gone for a ride today but it was

to cold this morning to wash the blue stuff off my new wide whitewalls.   Maybe tomorrow,

as the blue matches my pin stripe.

6 hours ago, padgett said:

Try stepping on a Man-O-War.

You can keep them. I was body surfing in the gulf when the guy next to me went through one of those with his arm. The outcome was not pretty and the poor guy suffered a lot. 

On 2/16/2021 at 5:03 PM, J.H.Boland said:

We had about 7 inches here in sunny southwestern Ontario, but the NE wind blew it all into my driveway !  It was a good workout for the "vintage" John Deere 2550 (1986).

Snow blowing 011.JPG

Where is the picture of the vintage John Deer? That is MODERN!

This is vintage (not this year, several years ago, but battery is charged and ready  if needed now):

IMG_1544.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Where is the picture of the vintage John Deer? That is MODERN!

This is vintage (not this year, several years ago, but battery is charged and ready  if needed now):

IMG_1544.JPG

The JD 2550 is 35 years old. If it were a car, it would have been eligible for old car events ten years ago. Modern or not, I like the heated cab !

6 hours ago, George Cole said:

Don't know what anyone is complaining about.  In less than a month the new administration has reversed global warming.  Hurrah!

George, I spent a few minutes reading up on the cold weather in Texas. What is happening is this: As the planet warms, so does the Arctic. That warming disrupts the jet stream which usually keeps the polar vortex of frigid air in place there. That causes the vortex to slip south sending frigid air to places like Texas. 

No politics involved. Just science. Zeke

• Thanks 1

E-116-YH, without a location, I have no idea what you mean. Normal it could be.🤔

We had a couple of cold nights, and a couple of chilly days on the south shore of Lake Pontchartrain-

even got down to 25 for an hour or so a few nights ago-

very unusual for us to get even to the low 40s,

so this was truly an exception.

Really feeling it for our northern and western neighbors

Michigan got the snow, but on Tuesday about 3 AM we were at 27 degrees below zero F in Lincoln, Nebraska. Actually, we got a bunch of snow, too. 

For some reason the anti-freeze I put in the '54 last year was protecting only down to 30 below (I think it was residual EvapoRust I hadn't flushed out of the system.) Anyway, as I'm in an unheated garage off premises, I used my Dad's old trick of a light bulb and blanket under the hood to give me a more acceptable margin of error. (No heat, but thankfully, there was electricity. Don't like leaving a space heater unattended.) I actually used three 75 watt light bulbs in drop lights and a nice thick rubber mat I got at the farm store. Kept the engine bay 20+ degrees above the ambient temp, so I was OK.

When it gets that cold here, I like getting on the net and seeing how cold it is in Winnipeg or Flin Flon. We were colder than Flin Flon on Tuesday, but just barely. I've noticed we'll often flip weather with Calgary during real cold spells...we get their bitterly cold weather and they get our balmy 30 degrees F. 😄

On 2/18/2021 at 5:09 PM, zeke01 said:

George, I spent a few minutes reading up on the cold weather in Texas. What is happening is this: As the planet warms, so does the Arctic. That warming disrupts the jet stream which usually keeps the polar vortex of frigid air in place there. That causes the vortex to slip south sending frigid air to places like Texas. 

No politics involved. Just science. Zeke

In 1936 It got so cold in the south that trees froze and split. It is the coldest winter in recorded history. Was that caused by Arctic warming too?

I'm an inveterate researcher and part time know it all. One thing I've learned is Google is hardcore shadowbanning/ burying anything that contradicts the globalist narrative. Just yesterday, Facebook banned all Australian journalists and any postings of Australian news articles.

Ron

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Locomobile said:

In 1936 It got so cold in the south that trees froze and split. It is the coldest winter in recorded history. Was that caused by Arctic warming too?

I'm an inveterate researcher and part time know it all. One thing I've learned is Google is hardcore shadowbanning/ burying anything that contradicts the globalist narrative. Just yesterday, Facebook banned all Australian journalists and any postings of Australian news articles.

Ron

The point of my post was that there is a scientific explanation of what is happening as far as weather is concerned and the best scientific explanation centers around global climate change. No offense meant, but I don’t understand the point of your post. Zeke

And my point is that as in the law, selective use of facts can be used to "prove" anything. Agree that man has an effect on climate, the question is "how much". As we have seen, one volcano can change everything. Should Yosemite ever blow times will be "interesting". At least before catalysts (1975), cars did not emit sulfuric acid mist.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zeke01 said:

The point of my post was that there is a scientific explanation of what is happening as far as weather is concerned and the best scientific explanation centers around global climate change. No offense meant, but I don’t understand the point of your post. Zeke

Not sure what was difficult in understanding what i wrote.

The point I was making is that we had colder winters in the south a hundred years ago. Responsible "Science" is not what these climatologists are practicing, this is knee jerk decision making on very small bits of data. We only have comprehensive weather data back a few hundred years, which is a very minuscule sampling of data in relation to the age of the planet. That's not responsible science. One of the great delusions of the self absorbed is that everything begins and ends in their lifetime. Sorry, this planet based on historical data will be here, doing just fine long after we're all gone.

The fact is Google hides any information contrary to the knee jerk theories which prevents anyone from actually doing any real study of the "Climate change crisis", and proves we are being lied to, or at the very least is a disingenuous presentation of available information. It's there, it just takes some digging.

Ron

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

To us northeasterners, it's a bit amazing that

the West has such a wide temperature range.

Living about an hour from the Pacific ocean puts me in the west.

Plenty of moisture here, but rarely do we get those huge temperature swings.

It is not uncommon to get to freezing over night and have T-shirt weather the next day, but that's only about a forty degree swing.

Anywhere east of the Rockies is not west. To us anyway.

• Like 1

I agree with Locomobile.  

If you want to evaluate "climate change", formerly "global warming", then you really need to look at recorded temperatures over at least 200 years and look at the trend.  Some of the charts that I have seen would indicate we are heading into a global cooling period with variations up and down in small sampling years. 

• Like 3

See also "little ice age". Thing is between Canada and Texas what you have are the flat Great Plains States and a funnel created by the Smokies-Blue Ridge- Alleghenies to the east and the Grand Tetons-Rockies to the west. The only thing keeping arctic air to the north are the Jet Streams (Polar and Pacific) which are curving pretty far south. It all just added up to a perfect storm.

BTW temperature cycles are recorded back to about 900AD (start of the Medieval Warm) which was interrupted at times by volcanic activity (year without a summer).

Now if the Western Inland Sea were still around, things might be different (water can absorb A Lot of thermal energy why temperature swings are much larger in the Great American Desert than a wet state like Florida.

Finally people exist in a very narrow temperature range: what we are talking about from Teas to Florida is from about 250 to 300 kelvin.

Just personal opinion is that what we do does have an effect on the earth, the question is "how much".

ps now others are finding out why many Floridians have portable generators. Bet there is a run.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Locomobile said:

In 1936 It got so cold in the south that trees froze and split. It is the coldest winter in recorded history.

My parents often recalled that in their youth ponds and slow rivers would freeze over with ice thick enough to walk on. Folks would harvest it off these waterways and store it in below-grade icehouses for summer use. This was along the VA/NC border from 1920s to 1940s. Neither recalled seeing it after 1948 or so. I'm 64 and have never seen that here. Most I've seen has been floes in the river, that might have been an inch thick if that. 

There were stories of driving horse-drawn wagons and Ford Ts out onto the ice to collect it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

My parents often recalled that in their youth ponds and slow rivers would freeze over with ice thick enough to walk on. Folks would harvest it off these waterways and store it in below-grade icehouses for summer use. This was along the VA/NC border from 1920s to 1940s. Neither recalled seeing it after 1948 or so. I'm 64 and have never seen that here. Most I've seen has been floes in the river, that might have been an inch thick if that. 

There were stories of driving horse-drawn wagons and Ford Ts out onto the ice to collect it. 

In the winter of 2013-14 the great lakes froze over completely, very rare occurrence. I believe I read there was no history of that ever happening. We had 84 inches of season total snow accumulation around Detroit.

Yeah my parents lived in the south and they mentioned that winter of 36 many times too. That had to be really tough on people right during the depression.

Ron

Edited by Locomobile (see edit history)