Oil Filter Adapter

Brad55

Hello there,

I have a 1955 Buick Roadmaster with the 322 Nailhead.  Looking to see if anyone knows where to find the adapter kit to convert from the original canister style to newer spin on?  I've looked, and not really coming up with anything definitive.   Any help from someone that knows or puchased one would be great!!  Thanks - Brad 

On 2/15/2021 at 6:38 PM, Brad55 said:

Hello there,

I have a 1955 Buick Roadmaster with the 322 Nailhead.  Looking to see if anyone knows where to find the adapter kit to convert from the original canister style to newer spin on?  I've looked, and not really coming up with anything definitive.   Any help from someone that knows or puchased one would be great!!  Thanks - Brad 

20170421_180602.thumb.jpg.eab36330c6489ffa71aef9497652ce60.jpgHey Brad

This how a later year Buick bolted on my 55 Cent. Pm for more info if this looks like it will work. A straight down version also from different year also bolts on if addled memory serves, but this one seemed the least interfereing when installed. Appears too close in 2nd picture, but its just a short guy over a high fender creating a false perspective! Plenty roomy!20170420_191453_001.thumb.jpg.75a1dd9eaded73172550610d6e876287.jpg

• Like 1

You could probably plug the lines to the canister oil filter and just run without one. The old Buick I drive the most gets around 1,500 miles per year, the others less. The oil gets changed every year. I have been caught without a filter on hand a couple of times and changed the oil only.

Although the average collector car is not at much risk I do make it a policy to drive my cars 10 miles or so if I start one to fully warm the engine and drive train to drive out any possible moisture. That's even if I am moving it over one parking place in the driveway. My wife knows "you have to do that". Just ask her.

Bernie

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 9:14 PM, 2carb40 said:

20170421_180602.thumb.jpg.eab36330c6489ffa71aef9497652ce60.jpgHey Brad

This how a later year Buick bolted on my 55 Cent. Pm for more info if this looks like it will work. A straight down version also from different year also bolts on if addled memory serves, but this one seemed the least interfereing when installed. Appears too close in 2nd picture, but its just a short guy over a high fender creating a false perspective! Plenty roomy!20170420_191453_001.thumb.jpg.75a1dd9eaded73172550610d6e876287.jpg

Thank You...... I may have it figured out, but may be in touch if not!!  Picture looks good to me!!  LOL 

Thank You all for your responses!!  I was initially having a problem with leakage from the Canister.... leaked oil all over the place!!  LOL    Come to find out, there was a few pieces of the old gasket stuck up where the Canister meets the base.  I did not realize this until it was too late.  So after I took it back off, and cleaned out the old gasket, and remade another, it appears to be holding.  So hopefully, all is good.  I did like the idea, and still do, of the conversion.  Seems easier to manage than that tiny gasket the original canisters have, and of course less messy I guess.  Either way, I seem to have it under control now!!  Thanks again...... Brad

• Like 3

18 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

You drive the condensate out with the 10-mile trips.   Then more condensate can form as it cools down from that?  Cycle repeat?

NTX5467

All the potential spots for condensate are vented so it is gone at operating temperature. Combustion condensate is my main concern. The other large mass areas are just an excuse to go for a ride for my purposes.

There are cars out there today waiting for their first start after long term storage that will be pumping water through the engines and swishing it through the gears. I know the story. "Yep, Elmer and I stuck a battery in it after all those years and it started right up and ran like new". Made me cringe to write that.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Brad55 said:

Thank You all for your responses!!  I was initially having a problem with leakage from the Canister.... leaked oil all over the place!!  LOL    Come to find out, there was a few pieces of the old gasket stuck up where the Canister meets the base.  I did not realize this until it was too late.  So after I took it back off, and cleaned out the old gasket, and remade another, it appears to be holding.  So hopefully, all is good.  I did like the idea, and still do, of the conversion.  Seems easier to manage than that tiny gasket the original canisters have, and of course less messy I guess.  Either way, I seem to have it under control now!!  Thanks again...... Brad

Even with newer spin on filters the rubber gasket can stick to the metal as the filter is twisted off.   Twist on the new with the old gasket left behind....yeah...it's a gusher.   Don't ask me how I know.  Anyway,   I have had great service from the canister filter on my 54.   You will too!  

• Like 2

On 2/15/2021 at 6:38 PM, Brad55 said:

I have a 1955 Buick Roadmaster with the 322 Nailhead.  Looking to see if anyone knows where to find the adapter kit to convert from the original canister style to newer spin on?  I've looked, and not really coming up with anything definitive.   

The 1959-1960 Buick 364"-401" engines used the spin-on filter assembly (without a canister) as shown in 2carb40's post above. The 45-degree angle installation should not interfere with exhaust manifolds on 1953-1958 Buicks with the V-8 engine. 

• Like 1