Improve original acceptable as stock?

Turbinator

The original 63 Buick zRiviera has wire wheel covers with trishield emblem. I decided to upgrade the wire wheel covers to wire spoked wheels with center cap assembly facsimile of the original. From a purist standpoint my upgrade is not original. In spirit and keeping with original design intent I think I’m consistent.

46FD39D3-3893-4245-A6E0-07745DD4A73F.jpeg

08897654-A8FB-4C8F-97A1-FE5AF3B0102F.jpeg

• Like 2

Unfortunately, for BCA judging purposes, "reasonable facsimile" or "intent" are not the same as "OEM production, end of the assembly line" correctness.  In a BCA-style show where OEM production correctness is "the standard for no points deducts" (other than possibly for condition), it's one thing.  In a non-BCA-style judged show event, the judges' orientations might be different.  Just depends upon "which game" you might desire to play.  Of course, with two sets of covers, you might play BOTH games, if desired.

Regards,

NTX5467 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, NTX5467 said:

Of course, with two sets of covers, you might play BOTH games, if desired.

SIR, I appreciate your complete response. What you say was my guess because of simple fact. One item is original the other item might look "better" but still not original. The non BCA style judges award what they like. That's ok I'm in for fun and it is hard for judges to know what is factory correct on so many cars. Again thank you for the taking the time to help me out.

Turbinator

2 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

I know what my opinion would be if I were judging the car.

Pete, I would suspect you'd judge on what was original as the car off the production line.  Keeps it easier for all involved. One item is original and another item is not. Simple.

Thank you

Turbinator

• Like 2

From a judging standpoint the answer is pretty simple.....

If you are in the 400 point class, it must have original parts or accessories for that model and year. 

In Modified class you can change to anything you want. 

Driven class can have modifications. 

Display can have modifications. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Barney, what is the difference between a driven class ( which my car is a driver) then a 400 point class car?

The BCA uses 4 classes for National meets. 

Archival is where your car is close to the way it was when first sold and delivered.

400 point is for cars restored to factory delivered conditions with exceptions for factory authorized equipment. 

Modified is for cars that have been changed in one of three classifications; mild, medium and major changes. 

Driver is an acknowledgement of efforts to drive your car from your place of residence to the Meet. 

There are awards for these 4 classes. 

Archival has an Archival Elite for cars scoring more than 385 out of 400 points. And an Archival award for 350 out of 400 points. 

400 point has 4 levels, bronze,silver,gold ,and Gold Senior. I do not remember the point spread.

Modified has the 3 levels and has itself been revised since I last looked. I do recall that just changing rims and tires is not sufficient enough to qualify for a modified award.

The above awards are delivered during the Saturday Nite Awards Banquet.

Driver has an award for driving your minimum 12 year old Buick 75% of the way to the National meet. That award is delivered by the registrar or on the show field based upon affirmation of the owner that the car met the qualification.  You can get a Drivers award along with any of the above mentioned awards.

Display class is just that. Parking on the show field and being proud of what you brung!

• Thanks 2

On 2/15/2021 at 3:46 PM, NTX5467 said:

Of course, with two sets of covers, you might play BOTH games, if desired.

For fun I was thinking about putting two cast aluminum turbines on one side of the car front and back. On the other side of the car the spoke wire wheels With center cap front and back. Take a casual poll at a local car show and see what people liked or didn’t like. I bet most people would say it did not make any difference.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NTX5467 said:

I've seen some "for sale" ads with that sort of thing.  When the owner had both sets of wheeles to do it with.

NTX5467

Not a bad idea! I got the idea from my brother when I had a 65 Chevy impala. I had two different sets of hub caps for the Chevy. I was perplexed about how to use the hubcaps. Brother said put on set on each side of the car. No one will ever notice. He was right. The 65 went back to my Brother when I got a 73 Monte Carlo with a 350. The car was good looking, but I had to use for it for work doing outside sales and it go wore out quickly.

I baby my Red Riviera but I do drive it when the road is dry and free of salt and sand. 

52 minutes ago, NTX5467 said:

I've seen some "for sale" ads with that sort of thing.  When the owner had both sets of wheels to do it with.

NTX5467

s oft

Red Riviera on South Lawn.jpg

• Like 1